First oil change. Royal Purple?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

racingdc9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My LR3 SE is coming up to 3000 miles and I'm about to do an oil change. I'm thinking about Royal purple Full synthetic 10w30. I know that Royal purple does wonders on high HP cars(race cars), you think it will be ok for the LR3? I know it's probably over ****, but why not, not much difference in price with other full synthetic, but RP is supposed to be better then others.

Opinions? What have you used?

T

tzucc

I think most of us are waiting for 7500 miles and the free oil change from the dealer!!!

askewed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told not to change the oil before 7500 by two dealers...

racingdc9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, my sales guy recommended that I do change the oil at around 3000-3500 and then again at 7500.

I have friends that own Mercedez and their scheduled oil changes are at every 10000 or so and they change their oil every 3000 anyway. I don't see it hurting anything, it's oil, all the dealer uses is 10w30 Castrol synthetic. Nothing special.

The break in period is over so why not.

askewed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't:

A. Disagree with you
B. Have any idea about what I'm talking about
C. See any reason to listen to a salesman vs. a service guy regarding an oil change
D. Want to talk about this anymore :)

racingdc9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For general knowledge and not at any particular person(askewed): I called and talked with a service advisor and he told me that it is ok to change the oil if I wanted to especially, at around 3000 miles. The service advisor said: " the reason why some ppl don't recommend changing the oil so soon in a new car is that to give the parts in the engine time to settle and seat properly." Thus, that is why there is a recommended break in period(500-1000 mi), giving that my car is at 3000 mi. everything should be ok.

As for Royal purple, the service advisor said that they even use it if the customer ask for it. ("it's good stuff") but a little more expensive then your usual synthetic oil.

So, it's up to you(anyone who reads this) if you want to change your oil before the service date or not, you don't have to if you don't want to. ;)

T

tzucc

what the advisor says doesn't make sense. Of course parts are seating in, but what in the world does that have to do with not changing the oil??? In other words, fresh oil isn't going to slow down the seating process, or help it for that matter.

In other words, again, I just wouldn't bother. Now, in my 1972 vintage auto, I do change the oil every 2000 miles, because that engine is alot looser, there is piston blowby, etc.. and the oil gets dirty fast. But in a modern car, I just follow the little message on the computer.

racingdc9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, you shouldn't have to worry about it in new cars. The reason why I want to change is: 1: i've heard alot of good things about Royal purple, 2: I tend to take trips to Dallas (500 mi. round trip) 1-2 x's per month. 3: I just want to have fresh oil in my car every 3000-4000 miles(depending on oil).

It's just preference.

Supposedly, with Royal purple, you can leave it in for around 7500 miles, we'll see. Maybe after the 7500 service I might try it, depending how the oil looks at the time of change.

S

simonharper

mmm and I'll wait for the diesels 15,000 mile service for its first oil change. The US really has to get with the rest of the world and adopt diesel fuel... 28-30 MPG, more torque in the engine, tougher engines and longer service intervals.

BUT... saying this I would love to be able to afford to run a big V8 LR3 here in the UK but I'd need to take my bank manager along for each ride in order to help sign off the huge fuel bills ;-)

-s

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about a big V8 diesel? :biggrin:

I wish we had diesels here too -- I'd be all about a 300TDi for my D1...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635