Fitting Oversized Spare Tire Underneath

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to post pics tomorrow, but I swear mine wont jam in there. I have 285/60 (should be slightly less diameter than 265/65) and after deflating to 10psi and much fiddling, in the end I had the front lifted in first and to get the tire past the hitch at the back I was on my ass on the ground kicking the tire forward and in!!

I still think mine looks like it hangs lower. It certainly decreases departure angles. Pics coming tomorrow.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Surf, I had a similar issue getting it up there, but I have lowered it on several occasions to tow something. I can not have the tire and the hitch mounted at the same time.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im struggling to get it past the stock mount for the hitch receiver (not sure what it's called). I dont have an actual receiver hooked up at all. I just think mine seems to hang lower at the back. I just dont want it getting jammed up there when it counts, nor drag all over rocks and debris on steep departure angles.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I tried to stow my 265/65R18 BFGs, it was very tight. I decided to just forget it since I would not want to have to remove it (especially if it expands a bit) on the trail or side of the road. It just seems as though it would be tough to remove on the trail once it has been lodged up there for a while. I am planning to stick my spare on the roof rack until I figure out if I want a rear bumper/spare tire carrier.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Surfrider- If you were on the ground using your feet to jam it up there (yes, I did it too), you should definitely make sure you can raise and lower it before you get into a situation where you actually need it. After I got my 265/65 wedged up there, I decided to test the lowering of it in my garage... Let's just say I was very thankful I was in my garage and not alone out in the woods. It took two guys and about 20 minutes of prying and wiggling to get it out from underneath. Needless to say, the spare is currently in the back of the truck (where it was in the first place).... Oh well. Good luck. Steve seems to like how his fits, and he has raised/lowered it numerous times. Keep in mind, departure angle appears to be slightly affected.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try the opposite: Lift it up until you can tilt and jam up the rear end of the tire in the corner of the well, then keep cranking so the front end (nearest the exhaust) rides up, hopefully all the way. You did remove the heat shield I am sure? Strange, as 285/60s should be no problem - as long as partially deflated. 265/65 is normally the "borderline" size that may or may not fit, even when fully deflated. A lot depends on how flexible the tire's rubber compound is (a BFG is quite stiff, so... Don't know much about the Dune Grapplers, other than they look fantastic and they are great on sand.) The Compomotives have plenty of room between the spokes for you to slide your hand through and make sure the tire is up as far as it can go, flush against the bodywork.

Even if you are successful, your spare will hang noticeably lower than the stock tire, that's for sure. However, it doesn't really reduce departure angle much in the real world, and of all the things that could get crushed and dented down there in an "insufficient departure angle" scenario, the spare tire is probably the one I'd most happily sacrifice if it meant sparing my bumper, exhaust, fuel tank, etc., from serious damage. :smile:

Last edited:

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have compomotive wheels with BFG TA KO 265/65/18.
No problem with fitting spare wheel under the truck.
After removing heat shield and deflating a tire to 8 PSI everything works just fine.
It takes maybe 5 more minutes that placing full size spare under the car. It takes 2 extra minutes to get it out.
I use the same method Umberto mentioned. I have to use my feet to kick the tire slightly so it moves all the way behind hitch adapter and then crank it all the way up.
I tried my hitch receiver in and out with a spare in place and no problem with it at all.
I remove the spare tire from under the car when off roading and place it in my cargo area. I am not concerned about departure angle or damage to the spare. Umbertob is right - the spare is actually good to protect the car from damage. The only reason I move the spare into the trunk is an easy access to it in case I had a flat tire. Even removing a donut or full size spare in the wilderness could be problematic. Just try to get your spare tire out from under a car and put it back. Not just lowering it and cranking up but actually getting it completely out and then placing back . After doing this exercise in my driveway I decide to keep my spare in the trunk.
I move the spare wheel back under the car for day to day driving.

Attachments

• IMG_20131024_120651.jpg
    IMG_20131024_120651.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20131024_120429.jpg
    IMG_20131024_120429.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 26

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have compomotive wheels with BFG TA KO 265/65/18.
No problem with fitting spare wheel under the truck.
After removing heat shield and deflating a tire to 8 PSI everything works just fine.
It takes maybe 5 more minutes that placing full size spare under the car. It takes 2 extra minutes to get it out.
I use the same method Umberto mentioned. I have to use my feet to kick the tire slightly so it moves all the way behind hitch adapter and then crank it all the way up.
I tried my hitch receiver in and out with a spare in place and no problem with it at all.
I remove the spare tire from under the car when off roading and place it in my cargo area. I am not concerned about departure angle or damage to the spare. Umbertob is right - the spare is actually good to protect the car from damage. The only reason I move the spare into the trunk is an easy access to it in case I had a flat tire. Even removing a donut or full size spare in the wilderness could be problematic. Just try to get your spare tire out from under a car and put it back. Not just lowering it and cranking up but actually getting it completely out and then placing back . After doing this exercise in my driveway I decide to keep my spare in the trunk.
I move the spare wheel back under the car for day to day driving.
You and Umberto's posts are very helpful. I tried this once, but perhaps I did not deflate enough (I don't think I went down to 8 PSI) or crank it up correctly. I had a really hard time getting it down, but was able to shimmy it loose.

I am still trying to figure out a good system for the roof, right now I don't have much room on my roof rack. I am back and forth in regards to the spare-tire carrier - I like it, but not sure I want it.

-David

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I aired down to 10PSI and it was just way too tight... Maybe I will try again when I have time.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi David,
You really have to deflate the spare in order to fit it under. My first attempt was a failure because the tire was "overinflated" :wink: ( 15 PSI).
After getting it to 8 PSI everything was OK.
When are you going to try your new tires?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM