Freshen Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uoflcardfan77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know we all like to keep our LR's looking spiffy. Of course the first thing to start looking a little gray is the plastic trim and fender flares. I used KIWI black liquid shoe polish on a couple of Volvo's that I used to own and it really did a good job of bringing the black back to life. I found it lasts a fairly long time and is easy to touch up if needed. It's also a very inexpensive way to deal with the fading. I just started this on my LR3 and thought I would post a picture showing the difference. I'll post some more as I get it done. In this picture the drivers side corner trim is the only part that's been done.

LAND%20ROVER%20BUMPER_zpsdiezgwj5.jpg

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used "Forever Black" or something like that from Atlantic British. I pulled all the fenders and lower door trim (I don't have the factory front or rear bumpers on anymore). Also did the rear tail gate lower plastic and removed the upper hatch handle enclosure for the same treatment.

First I really cleaned them, taking apart the lower door sections and the rubber gaskets to remove all old mud/crud. This is not a quick process but it really renews everything and the seals are better again.

Two layers of the black stuff with a day drying in between. 3rd day two layers of Rain-X window cleaner type stuff which applies a water beading sheen. Installed everything after doing a cleaner and wax job without having to worry about wax on plastic!

I also did the lower windshield cowl a while back which helped a lot as those seem to grey-out quickly.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might try that Kiwi stuff over the black solvent stuff. I think the stuff formulated for plastic is going to sink in better but the wax over it might be very long lasting.

uoflcardfan77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice weather last night so I was able to get all the plastic pieces coated. Probably do a little touch up after a day or two but here's the before and after:

20150711_150156_zpsdihflixl.jpg

20150731_075029_zps0mliozss.jpg

20150711_150046_zpsmicaysbz.jpg

20150731_074958_zpsxlqucqux.jpg

Morning sun making it a bit hard to see the difference but it is significantly darker.

GSMblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had great success with Aerospace 303 protectant. it is a great multipurpose spray I use on many plastic and rubber parts.

dj_karl

Reaction score
Another vote on using 303. It doesn't leave any greasy residue, and has UV protection.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72