Front end shimmy....dealer visit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have this front end shimmy at upper highway speeds along with some occasional thunks from the left front when doing parking manuevers.

I jacked the left front up and did the old grab and shake at 3 and 9 and 6 and 12. From the 3 and 9 position I get some play and the thunk is replicated. It sounds as though it is coming from the left inner tre location. I'm under warranty so I call the dealer who had actually just replaced both inner TRE on my last visit.

The truck is there now and they are saying that the bump stops need lubed and the rear sway bar bushings are bad. Now I never noticed any problems or sounds coming from the rear but maybe the SA is referring to a rear set of the bushings on the front bar.

Unfortunately I had to take it in before I replaced the rear tires so I am getting the hard sell on 2 tires and road force balance for $800. I told them that I had a guy to do the tires and I got the dejected girlfriend vibe. This is why I hate going to the dealer but I digress.

It seems to me the bump stop issue would only make noise when the wheel is at lock and my theory is that they did not completely tighten the left inner tre during the initial install. Am I overly skeptical?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Possibly...I'm getting the rear sway bar bushings replaced tomorrow. They do go...

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You never go to a dealer for a shake.
Bump stops won't cause this.
Find a good alignment shop that does 4X4's and have them check for the problem.
By the way, what year and model are you dealing with and does it still have a stock suspension?

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's an 06 lr3 hse, stock. Is the play and noise normal with the wheel up? Seems like something has to out of spec. I've luckily only 9k until I am out of warranty.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo