Front End Vibration and Tire Wear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lr4jones

Reaction score
I have a 2012 LR4 and am experiencing a vibration in the front end. It usually starts at around 100 km/h and progressively gets worst causing me to slow down or completely stop before it goes away. When I apply the brake the vibration feels worst, like the problem is related to the brakes but as I said once I reduce speed or stop so does the vibration and then I can carry on. In the past year I have had all new brakes and rotors installed (front and rear), two wheel alignments/w tire balance, a front bearing replaced and two years ago both front lower control arms replaced..... the problem is still there. The vibration is not a common occurrence and usually happens when driving on the highway and usually starts after driving over a bump or washboard type bumps on the road. I recently took the vehicle to another garage to get a second opinion and they are saying the the front lower control are bushings and worn and this could be the cause. I am also experiencing premature wear of the front tires (feathering) that I feel is related to the vibration. The vehicle has 112000km on it and my wife is the primary driver. It's used to take the kids to school, get groceries etc.... never abused or used off road and maintained by the LR dealership as per the maintenance schedule in the OEM manual. Is anyone else experiencing this same issue? I would appreciate any feedback before I go and replace the control arms again.....

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before even getting to the garage diagnosis, I said to myself it sounds like the Lower Control Arm Bushings or tie rods are worn.
The LCA bushing have a tendency to wear out at 50-80K miles even under the best of conditions.

Although you stated replace "again" is the second time they need to be replaced?
I would check the tie rod ends for wear s well.

lr4jones

Reaction score
Thanks for the input I'll have the tie rod ends checked for wear.
I replaced LCA's about two years ago. The mechanic told me that the LCA bushings used on the LR4 are in his opinion a poor design as they are not a solid piece of material....probably provides a better ride but do not last long. I was looking for an aftermarket LCA replacements but can't seem to find any....OEM's cost about $400 CAD each. I live in Newfoundland Canada and we use salt on the roads here in the winter so changing out the bushings can cost as much in labour as replacing the complete unit due to the rust issues. That being said I found a video of a guy replacing the bushings with solid polyurethane ones and would give them a try if I could find them......Update Lol just found them: roverparts.com/Parts/LR025159POLYO

Last edited:

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in Maine, so I feel your pain.
Order the whole arm, and Polybush bushing from Lucky8.
Tell Erik you want the upgraded LCA.
They can also provide all of the hardware to replace them.

Cut the bolts out, replace the whole arm.

As a bonus the arms come with new lower ball joints.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in Maine, so I feel your pain.
Order the whole arm, and Polybush bushing from Lucky8.
Tell Erik you want the upgraded LCA.
They can also provide all of the hardware to replace them.

Cut the bolts out, replace the whole arm.

As a bonus the arms come with new lower ball joints.

When you say upgraded LCA, you mean it just has the poly bushes in it? or something else is different?

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m going polybush once my current OEM are worn. It rides stiffer, but last longer from what I know.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I concur with LCAs. How many curbs does your wife hit ? Delicate question lol.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you say upgraded LCA, you mean it just has the poly bushes in it? or something else is different?

Just comes with the Polybush bushings, as opposed to the standard LCA's with the OEM bushing.
The only upgrade may be the RRS control arms but there is enough conflicting information out there, I'm not going to touch them.

The ride is not noticeable stiffer, but the handling is corners is more positive.
Then again with stock tires there may be a difference. I am running 285/50r20 AT tires, so they may be a bit softer than the stock tires.

lr4jones

Reaction score
Yeah I’m going with the poly bushings. I’ll follow up once they are installed.
It’s amazing that a brand and model touted to be the best in class off-road cannot handle the “abuse” of school and grocery runs. It is even more obvious now with the introduction of the new Discovery that LR is moving away from its roots and focusing on the more lucrative urban market. Although my wife is the primary user now, my intention is to eventually turn this into my off-road project...... that’s after she upgrades to the Discovery hahaha!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM