Front End Vibration and Tire Wear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I’m going with the poly bushings. I’ll follow up once they are installed.
It’s amazing that a brand and model touted to be the best in class off-road cannot handle the “abuse” of school and grocery runs. It is even more obvious now with the introduction of the new Discovery that LR is moving away from its roots and focusing on the more lucrative urban market. Although my wife is the primary user now, my intention is to eventually turn this into my off-road project...... that’s after she upgrades to the Discovery hahaha!!!
It's a trade off. Can have a nice supple ride, and be an awesome off roader.
There are going to be trade off. Make the bushing last too long, they will be considerable harder, and people complain about the ride quality. Can't have it both ways.

I would say replacing them twice in 60k seems like a lot though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried swapping your tires around and then checking if you are getting the weird vibration? Not sure what rubber you are running (ie. directional tread and /or asymmetric) but it is possible that the tire wear could be causing the issue as well. Some brands only last 30-40k kms on this heavy rig. You mention alignments but not all shops are the same. Do you have the before and after specs for these? That would help as well. Finally what tire pressures are you running?

Azoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
During installation of the LCA, have the mechanic check the lower and upper ball joints as well. These are known to cause tire wear.

lr4jones

Reaction score
Thanks.... I was planning to have them give the suspension a thorough inspection. I'm now seeing the same feathering on the rear tires. Is it my bad luck that the bushings are going in both the front and rear or maybe something else? Now I'm wondering if the two recent wheel alignments were done incorrectly?

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is where I was going. My previous LR3 seemed to eat tires (feathering etc). I didn't know if it was the tire (Michelin Synchrone, Hankooks, or the alignment). My LR4 has been the opposite with good tire wear etc. I have 50k kms on my current Michelin Lattitude HPs and the wear is very consistent and should get another 15k kms before they are done. Try to get your before and after alignment specs. Supposedly the vehicle needs to be placed in tight tolerance mode prior to aligning but I don't think my shop does this. They do however align many LR products so they seem to know what they need.

Air pressure is another matter. I believe your door placard will show a 36F/42R rec air pressure. In my experience this is too high in the rear unless you are doing heavy towing. If I run these air pressures I get excessive center tire wear. I usually run 36/36 unless I tow.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM