Front Lower Control Arm Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have access to a shop manual with regard to replacing the control arms?

I'm having a local independent mechanic do mine as I lack the time and garage space. Just want to make sure he has all the right information.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wanting to give the guy all the correct torque specifications, and the procedure to tighten the lower control arm bolts while simultaneously replicating the ride-height of the vehicle.

I wound up signing up for a week of Topix. Going to start downloading everything I can think of.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I see. You can buy a complete service manual from ebay. About $12 I think I paid.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I see. You can buy a complete service manual from ebay. About $12 I think I paid.

The dealer told me some place in Montana but they never returned my call to buy one and have no decent website. What did you search for yours? I really need one for lr3. It's ridiculous to be so hard to find.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry mine was for LR4 and electronic. There must be a LR3 one in the interwebs.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had it done yesterday. My mechanic also works on a lot of Audis, Jaguars, and other cars that require a similar procedure with regard to replicating ride-height when tightening the lower control arm bolts, so the process was not unfamiliar to him. He also told me he had performed the job on an LR3 a few weeks ago.

All told, the cost was $382 for parts from Lucky 8, and $288 labor. I am taking it to get an alignment today.

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's about what I paid at my Indy. He gave me the option of using his press to get the bushings out but said it could take longer if there were any problems. I just figured get the whole new part as opposed to the rubber parts and not worry about the unknown. I asked about the orange bushings that are harder and last longer, he was highly against that because he felt that the extra vibrations due to the stiffer bushings would end up causing more stress to other parts of the suspension and body than the OE ones fitted by LR. I figured that made sense...

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the labor cost to get the old bushings out and push the new bushings in really eats into the price difference between buying just bushings or buying the entire control arm. As an added benefit, the whole control arm also gets you new ball joints.

Lucky 8 really stands behind their poly bushings, though, but I didn't want to take the chance.

patski

Reaction score
I am thinking about replacing the front lower control arms on my 2012 LR4. Does anyone know of a video or tutorial on completing this replacement? Thanks for any input.

Yeah, the labor cost to get the old bushings out and push the new bushings in really eats into the price difference between buying just bushings or buying the entire control arm.

My local independent LR Tech pressed out/in OEM bushings, ~$600 total, it rides like new and it's quiet again.

He said, "no way," to poly. 2007 LR3 with 120k miles, glad it was him not me.