Front Spring Swap Advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to swap out my stock-height front springs for some beefier springs, and am looking for advice on the job. I know the procedure but am looking for any helpful tricks or secrets that will make it less of a PITA.

Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

redrover51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Andy, I'm also getting ready for "old Man E-mu", I hear they are pretty cool? Also, the exchange is supposed to be pretty easy?....I hope so!...I'm going to try the "medium" as I tow my boat, and 4x4 trailer. Let me know what you find out, other brands? Thanks. Anthony

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That has to be one of my least favorite jobs. Everytime I struggle until something new works. I sometimes jack up the one side really high, and use some channel locks to lock the shocks into place. Good luck. Post here if you get stuck. There is always a way around everything.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dunno about secrets. Its just PITA :)

Main thing with front ones is that you got to undo shocks and bloody towers..
Other than thats its all same - unbolt sway bar, raise frame, put it on stands, then lower axle...

I'd still suggest to use spring compressors just so spring wont fly into your forehead while you lowering things.. :)

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well to hold shocks in place (so they wont turn) is actually bery easy. All you need is one of those strap wrenches. I got set of 2 from home depot a while ago - its like rubber loop with handle - works great on lots of things, including preventing shocks from turning :)

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sergei said:
All you need is one of those strap wrenches. I got set of 2 from home depot a while ago - its like rubber loop with handle
I broke one of those in half with the slightest pull. If you do buy one, spend a couple extra bucks for the nicer one. They tend to be weak.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah. I have never undone the front sway bar, but it always works for me.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sam - dude, mine are made by wise grip and i cant picture how you can break one :) And i am not the whimpiest guy around. How you broke yours?

Undoing sway bar letting you lower axle more, so you dont spend hour compressing springs - i done my front with attached sway and i literally spent like hour compressing and the uncompressing and then doing that for 3" HD Green Monsters.. That was not fun.. Of course i was stupid enough to not paint them, so now i am keep thinking about getting them out and paint, but its like too much hard work..

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess there are many ways to do it. I think I have done it more than 4 times for my front springs since I had problems with my shock tower. Anyway, it never took me more that an hour to do it, although compressing the springs has to be the suckiest thing ever (and I am always nervous that they are going to break and rip off my hand or my head). I did it each time with the medium duty REAR OME springs (that is what I run in the front) and they stand very tall. Well, either way, it is going to suck. ENJOY.

I actually broke it trying to hold the shock tight in the front. I bought mine from sears and they seemed pretty heavy duty. I guess I must be really buff or something.

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello! I didn't disconnect my sway bar either. I put a small jack somewhere between the radius arm & the frame, pushed it down until the spring could be lifted out, and stuffed new one in. Good Luck, LRW.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM