Fuel Additive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

ayavner

Hey all,

I noticed in another thread, someone mentioned something about a recommended fuel additive. As far as I recall, my owner's manual (2001 SE7) says that high octane with cleaners (ie Techron) is recommended, but that additives (ie Octane booster) is not..

I wasn't aware of this stuff the dealer uses, is there an equivalent I can get at Autozone?

What are y'all using? What frequency? :hello:

D

discomike

Adam,
Fuel additives for cleaning the injectors and decarboning the engine are a big plus towards keeping your engine happy. The 2 more popular ones are Sea Foam and B&G's 44K.
Mike J.

A

ayavner

cool, so would you notice any mpg gain? I have been averaging a little over 14mpg... Does anyone (despite recommendations) just go with regular fuel + an octane booster, to save $$?

fivespddisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your getting 14 and you want more :hmpf: shame on you ,, you should share with the rest of us first. I get around 9-11

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fivespddisco said:
your getting 14 and you want more :hmpf: shame on you ,, you should share with the rest of us first. I get around 9-11

And that is with that squeaky clean engine of yours?
I am still dying to see picture of inside of your rocket covers, Justin :)

A

ayavner

HAHAHAHA 14.81.... but, its ONLY because i recently got a speeding ticket, and I am on deferred adjudication for 90 days... so, driving like a Grandma!! hehe, good one made me laugh.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah answering question.

Adam - dont expect much of mileage improvement from cleaners if you already getting 14 in city. But in general it is recommended to run them once in a while (like once/twice a year) to keep build-up out. They normally have recomendation of like 24K /30K miles, but then look at it this way - you ponying up like 25$ about two times a year (BG44K) and dont have to worry about a thing. If you also drop same amount 4 times / year to pour some BG MOA at oil changes - your engine will thank you :)

sydeem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I average around 14 mpg with either my D2 or RRC in town or on trips using regular. I am undecided on switching back to premium after reading all the comments. BUT I will start using additives after reading the comments.

sydeem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in the sticks. Neither local NAPP or K-MArt carries Lucas. Internet search gave prices for a quart from $15 to $6.

$6 at www.midwayautosupply.com/ detailedproductdescription.asp?4088 - 101k -

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72