Fuel filler access

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

Sandalwood

If I understand this correctly, UK & Aussie spec LR3 have ability to lock the cover to the fuel filler cap/tank with central locking but N.A. spec vehicles don't.

If true, what have N.A. owners done to prevent vandalism (things added to tank like sugar or other liquids) when vehicle parked outside? Is there a locking gas cap available?

A

alanmeyer

I was also surprised to learn that the access door to the fuel filler wasn't locked with the doors. This is a feature that some lower-priced vehicles have, but was noticably absent from the LR3.

Of course, we can always go out and purchase a 3rd-party locking gas cap, but that's far less convenient than simply using the FOB to lock/unlock.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct.

The door does not lock on RRS or LR3 in North America. Do note if someone wants to "vandalize" your vehicle by pouring something in your fuel tank, a silly fuel door won't stop it. It's easily broken or pried open.

It feels a little cheap that is doesn't lock with the doors, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sandalwood

Locking cap

Today, I spoke with the dealer about a locking cap. He indicated that some owners have had problems with sensors when using aftermarket locking caps. Something about the aftermarket caps not seating (or sealing) properly and causing problems with the fuel system sensors.

Anyone have an aftermarket cap and had any problems?

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No locking gas door is a bummer. I could sell locking gas caps all day long if they were available. The problem is the emissions system is pressurized from time to time and if the sensors detect leak-down, they flag a code. (That is why you can get a check engine light for a loose gas cap). If there is a locking gas cap that does the job, I be interested to know.

T

texas911

It's not silly, sure you can say that if they really wanted to, they could pry it open, but if you were a vandal, would you take time to pry open the gas door, or move on to the next car that doesn't? Its silly not to have this feature when its available in other countries.

Heck even Honda Civics have them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112