gearbox issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

emlotte

Reaction score
Hi all,

I think my rangy '4.6 HSE petrol auto' has a gearbox problem.

When I am running about 70ish she keeps jerking as if she is engine breaking but I am not to sure. can anyone tell me what the revs should be at different speeds 30, 50, and 70. I think the car is not changing up to top gear and the jerking is the gearbox trying to find the right gear.

Also when I am in traffic for a long time the engine starts to slow and often stalls, if I catch it and pull away it is very sluggish. are the 2 linked does anyone have any suggestions.

thanks
emlotte:hmpf:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Mileage, last tune up (when and what was done) I would also have the battery tested.

emlotte

Reaction score
New battery in end of May,
100000miles
Full service last month and gearbox clutches changed.
front and rear EAS bags and valve block replaced last month.

the car is a 2001 model.

As you can imagine having spent a lot on it recently I do not want to let her go or want to spend much more.

any help?

Emlotte:hmpf:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
In this case I would start cheap, clean the MAF sensor (you would be surprised what this can fix)

emlotte

Reaction score
Hi Joey,

I have already done that, it made very little difference. the jerking became slightly less but the stalling stayed the same.

emlotte.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you off road? Have you ever gotten a lot of water in the engine bay?

emlotte

Reaction score
I do off road in sand never had the car wet other than washing her.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
the reason I ask, is I know that on the D1 and is some cases the D2's if it gets water on or around the ECU it can cause some corrosion issues. But if you don't go mudding, then I would say this isn't a major concern.

I would remove the air intake (from the air box to the butterfly) and clean the butterfly out and then I would see about getting a can of your favorite injector cleaner and running this through a tank of fuel.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM