Getting a 2005 Defender

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuyrdzc

Reaction score
Good Day guys

My father and I are in the process of buying two land Rovers. My father is looking at the possibility of buying a new 2005 Land Rover Defender.
Most likely it will be a Defender 90.
The person that imports this Suvs into Mexico will onlly be able to get us a Diesel engine D90.
We are wondering, how reliable are defenders?
Can they be fixed in any Diesel shop?
Are they less expensive to mantain than a Discovery or a Range?

We are under the impression that Defenders are less complicated than Ranges and Discos. And that they have less computers and more easy going mechanics. How true is this?
Hope you can help.
Best Regards
JR

S

SteveA

Defenders do have the reputation of being less complicated, but the newest Defenders have nearly as much electronics on them as the contemporary Discoverys. The latest Defenders have traction control, ABS, hill descent control, and other electronic controls. All of these make the engine management far beyond the scope of the average diesel repair shop and require special diagnostic equipment and specialized tools. But to your question of how reliable the diesel D90 is, it really doesn't matter much diesel or gas, they are about the same.

I would say that the new Defenders are less complicated than the latest Range Rovers. If you are really looking for the least complicated Defender, look to the early to mid 90's Defenders with the 200Tdi motor. It had no computer controls, and the engine will run virtually under water.

Stephen

chuyrdzc

Reaction score
Thanks for the Replys!

Well in general I think I we will end up buying a 2005 Defender 90.
Our main concern is basically where to service it.
Can I actually take it to the Land Rover Dealership even if they dont sell Defenders in the US?

I know parts might have to be imported in the worst case scenario, but just normal service..... can it be done?
Best Regards
JRC

C

clarkcr

hey I'm just curious, what is a new D90 TDi going for these days?

C

chuyrdzc

Reaction score
clarkcr said:
hey I'm just curious, what is a new D90 TDi going for these days?

C
Well I have quoted one on the German Land Rover Website and it goes for 26K.

But since we might buy it in Mexico city as a mexican import price goes up to 44k. This is for a D90 Tdi fully loaded. If my father actually orders I think he will order the D90 BLACK edition which has AC and leather seats. And adds like 3k more to the sticker price.

If we do go with the D90 I will shurley post pics of it on the forum.
Best Regards
JR

S

SteveA

Don't plan on the average US dealer being able to work on the car. Alot of parts that are used on non-NA spec vehicles are not available for US dealers to order. I'm sure you can get parts, but maybe not at the US dealer. As far as service, US dealers will not have access to the repair information for the vehicle on the RAVE disc or in TestBook. The guys that work in our shop have no idea about diesel engines. We never see them.

Stephen

F

FriscoKid04

See if he can get more...I am a player! Look into the 110's as well!

R

ranging

Okay, but here's my question. Will the Defender be registered in Mexico but driven around in the US? Do you have residence in Mexico and Texas? How are you doing this? Are there any problems with registration?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112