GPS when off roading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys. All this info was very helpful.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My experience is like Umbertos. (I went out the truck to run through the process again and write it down but Umberto beat me to it.) Here are a couple more points:
- When downloading files and you get to the last step of the process it may look like the only thing on the menu or in the list is a white bar. This is in fact the identifier for the flash drive but without a name filled in. Just press on this "bar". This opens the flash drive and displays the list of files or folders.
- I actually organize my GPX track files into folders on the flash drive as there are a lot of them in the Funtreks books. I separate by book/color where color corresponds to the trail rating. This way I don't have to scroll through so many.
- I'll try to manage the number of files that so that, again, I don't have to scroll through so many when choosing a destination.
- Like Umberto, if there are no waypoints "near" my current location then it tells me so.
- When downloading and later looking for destinations the Funtreks tracks names correspond to the trail names in the Funtreks books.
- When selecting those tracks to choose a destination the system will display the list of waypoints from the Funtreks GPX file. Those waypoints are named using a simple convention explained with the Funtreks data card. Essentially it is a letter representing the book, then the trail #, then the waypoint #.
- I usually begin by selecting the last waypoint I want to get to. The Nav system will usually then try to determine an easy, on road path to that waypoint which isn't what you want. But then you go back in via the Destination Entry process to add additional waypoints and "force" the Nav system to follow the track.
- On your map the waypoints will be displayed as yellow stars.
- If you are in On Road Nav System mode then the Nav system will determine a track (if you force it with waypoints) that will eventually figure out forest roads and county roads. This works on essentially all "easy" trails and on many of the "moderate" trails.
- If you switch to Off Road mode in the Nav System you won't get the "route" but you will be able to see the waypoints and of course you will also see county and forest roads.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635