Greetings from North Carolina, USA and I got ??s .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jase25

Reaction score
Hi there everybody! :hello: My name is Jase and I'm from Granite Falls, NC. I'm a newbie to your forum and I've been able to pick up some great info from this board. I'm looking to purchase my first Land Rover. I have three DISCOVERYs I'm interested in right now and I'm looking to purchase by next Tuesday....so your help is very much needed.

My first pick is a 1997 Land Rover Disco I - Green - Tan Leather - 160k miles - asking $3995 talked to them and they will take $3400 out the door. Rover looks great inside and out...some stress noted on the driver and passenger leather, no open areas or tears, carpet is clean. Also comes with running boards and tinted windows. Some oxidation noted on the front bumper (Wont Black Chrome cure that??) Other then that I love the Color Combo of the Tan and Green.

Second - a 2000 Land Rover Disco II - Black - Tan Leather -142k miles - Asking $4000...have had no interaction with seller, but emailed him/her yesterday. Rover looks good inside and out - Has a broken ash tray slides out and wont slide back in, and shift boot around 4X4 lever is ate the hell up (all easily replaced if but costly through some of the websites dealers I've found)...., leather seats look good, Carpet is fairly clean, some light scratches noted on the body, and a small crack in the windshield on the passenger side. Windows are tinted.

Third - a 1994 Land Rover Disco I - Black - Tan Leather - 180k Miles - Asking $2975 firm - Contacted seller through e-mail but no response yet. Leather looks good some stress noted more so on the passenger side seat then the driver side. Body and paint appear good. The Land Rover letters on the hood are gone and you can see faintly where they were. Carpets are soiled kind of heavy in areas but I'm sure would clean up better. Windows are not tinted.

So why am I telling all you guys this??...because you are owners and I'm looking for any and all feedback. Tell me what do I need to be looking for when I'm shopping for my first Disco. What pitfalls do I need to watch out for or avoid all together? I realize that Discos are known to have some mechanical issues and I'm going into that with open eyes and believe me I'm not afraid of a wrench. Most of all...out of the Discoverys that I listed which would be your choice if you were picking one out for yourself with the information I've provided. Again I hope to get to talk to a lot of you and get to know you. Most of all I thank each and everyone of you in advance that take the time to help me out in the search for my first Disco.

Sincerely,

Jase

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
First in my opinion, all three are way overpriced.

The 97 with that mileage... maybe $2900 out the door

The 00 with a cracked windshield, that alone will cost a small fortune.

I would not recommend a 94 with 180k to anyone. and for almost 3k you are asking for trouble.

Of the three the 97 is the only one I would touch.

I presume it is at a dealership, if so, open the hood and look at the Power Steering leaks (good way to reduce the price) Check to see if the Diff lock works it should move left to right even with the engine off, if it doesn't it is about a 2 to 3 hour job to fix (another price reducer)

I would also check the alpine windows (the top two in the back) for rust around the bottom. Another price reducer.

If you look it over like you were repairing it and you can't find enough issues to get the price below 3k out the door with taxes I would recommend finding another vehicle. I almost bought an 03 D2 from a friend (he was getting it at an auction for less money, if this says anything), all rovers need work, the question is how much are you willing to spend to get it back to where it should be.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4