GTP Performance chip on ebay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zbysiu23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a chip for the LR3 on ebay, I have checked the feedback from the owners of other car makers... and they are so happy...he he ...well I am sceptical, and what even more important I had purchased extended warranty on my LR3 till 2014, and of course any chip would void the warranty...well I just have been wondering..... it's probably worth what it costs.. real thing could run up to 1K..

NEW PERFORMANCE CHIP LAND ROVER LR3 2005-2009 - NEW Item number: 220329999861

price: US $26.99 Buy It Now

Shpping: FREE shipping
GTP Store 2
Visit my eBay Store:GTP Store 2

Last edited:

zbysiu23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am back, from the description appears like it is just simple plug out plug in install, which is good ,I have asked the seller for more info in PDF format...
I wonder if the LR3 computer would retain info in memory in regerds to whether foreign chip was plugged in ..For those with the car being still on warranty it would be tougher call yet for somebody whos truck is past the warranty....one could always return it...

Performance chips are very popular fix around the world, in fact in Europe almost everybody chips their cars which is even easier with some of the turbo diesels that Europe is flooded with.the gas is still relatively cheap in here that's way chips are so popular elswhere..
Any volunteers...
Hopefully I will get more info..

scot

Reaction score
Chips do close to nothing for non turbo applications. All it can do is take the safety margin for air flow and make it slightly more lean, it cannot push more air into the engine. This gives you a slightly more efficient burn, as long as everything is working perfectly well. If something goes wrong, and it will "just because" you will put a bit more heat/ping/detonation into your engine than it was designed for. That will lower the longevity of the engines.

Another issue is that every engine is different. When they program the ECU it is pretty lax and can cope with engine differences. These chips cannot.

So can they work? Sure, probably 10hp increase if you are lucky. If you get a customizable one and use a dyno it is probably actually safe, if the guys doing the programming know what they are doing. There you might see a bigger midrange bump as they match everything up.

If you port and flow match the heads, put on headers, change exhaust and that sort of thing, then yes you could see huge differences. The stock ecu probably cannot deal with those sort of changes.

In a turbo they just keep the engine running a bit rich and tell the system to not dump air until it gets to higher pressures, increasing the available boost. Works great and you can see significant increases in hp. Since most sane places have turbo diesel engines, thats why you hear of chips so often. Here in the USA... nope, all normally aspirated gas engines.

BTW: if a deal sounds too good to be true... Chips normally run in the 800-1000 range due to the cost to break the encryption/systems used in the stock ECU, not to mention testing and programming. For more mass market applications where they might sell 10-20k chips, the cost will be less.

zbysiu23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
..yeep in Europe decent performance lab would charge ~ $1000.00 and those are mostly durbo diesel oriented labs, well majority of cars in there are turbo diesel..
That 's why I had asked for some technical info as well as info regarding the principles in which it operates it looked as it would work in addition to the factory computer????

scot

Reaction score
Just so you know, most of the "chips" you see on ebay are nothing more than resistors that go into some of the electronics. It changes what is being presented to the ecu, basically screwing up your fuel ratios. Its REAL bad news and useless.

zbysiu23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well if it would be a real thing those people would work for automaker industry not selling chips for $25.00 on ebay ..I guess common sense wise that would be deal...
I wonder whether they will send me the data...

KyRover

Reaction score
Most of these cheap chips are nothing but a resistor put in series with the IAT sensor. This makes the ecu think the intake air is cooler than it really is and prevents timing from being pulled due to high air temps. I would expect only a minor gain, maybe 5-10 hp, at the cost of your warranty and possibly engine damage. Not worth it IMHO.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo