Guesses on how long a new LR4 will last?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The donkey

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have been reading this forum for over a year and haven't posted before. I like to do all of the research that I can before I buy.

I am looking at getting a new LR4 for the family. I have narrowed it down for basically all of the other selections in the market and the LR4 appears to be the best choice when you factor in style, off road ability, cargo and people capacity as well as interior fit and finish. I value all of those. I am not too concerned with fuel economy. I know this isn't a gas sipper and it isn't of concern.

We use it as a family hauler, off roading for waterfowl season and bad weather during the winter in VA. I live in Charlottesville, Va and the closest dealer is 60 miles away. I am told they will come pick up the vehicle for warranty work and factory scheduled maintenance. That is all positive. I can get wear and tear things done locally.

My real question and item of concern is how long y'all think this vehicle can stay on the road without nightmare repair costs. We currently have a 2000 TLC that has been great, has 159k, is till running great and required only a few big tickets during the last 10+ years. Starter was $2k is the only real big I can think of. The 30k services are $600-$700 bucks. I'm used to that.

We like to keep vehicles for 10 or so years. We get attached to them and I don't like to continually have car payments. Plus, I like to see how long they can go.

Do y'all think the fundamental components of this car can keep it driving and not too much of a financial pain but more importantly in the shop all of the time? I understand that as a car ages lights come on, little things pop up, it wears down, etc. That is all part of age, just like any of us. I'm Ok with that and welcome it. The TLC is getting tired, things fall off, it pulls even after repeated alignments, it has had a lifter noise for 100k miles but it still runs and doesn't let us down.

I'm not asking for another Land Cruiser because I understand one is sterile and one has passion but do you think the 2011/12 LR4 can keep you safely driving and starting for the next 10+ years?

Thanks for the help. Great forum and very helpful group here.
William

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We purchased ours new and purchased a 7 year extended service contract with it. I'm expecting it to last the 7 years without significant issues. Most new cars will last as long as you maintain them on a consistent basis. I am not following the factories recommended maintenance schedule however. We're changing the oil and rotating the tires every 5000 miles (if it wasn't synthetic I would be doing 3000 miles) I plan on changing the remainder of the fluids every 15000 miles. I've been in the car business all of my life and I'm a firm believer in maintenance, seeing first hand cars regularly go 500,000 miles with regular maintenance and cratering after 100,000 miles with spotty maintenance

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A member on disco3 co uk "character" is close to 500,000k on his Discovery 3. I believe he just had his first major mechanical issue.

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This car has only been out for 2 years so it's a stretch for any one to say "yes" with any true certainty. You can look at the lr3 forum to get a closer gage as they have been out for 7 years. These don't have the track record as toyotas so really, you need to consider whether you are ok if it doesn't last as long or if your later years of ownership requires more shop time than your LC. You sound like you know the answer but your heart is leaning to the lr4.

I would suggest that you factor in a warranty if you want to keep these things after the factory warranty. I'm going to buy one early next year around 36k.

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mechanically they seem pretty strong it is heavy chassis and designed to hold up to offroad driving most problems with land rovers are electrical sensor issues and it has a bunch of them

A code reader is a good investment , mechanically alot is carried over from lr3 the lr4 has bigger brakes and new engine, I had some engine warranty issues that almost drove me from the brand but ultimately with alot of leverage on my part land rover made it right

I seriously considered the land cruiser but approx 20k more expensive and no air suspension ride not as nice, hated lc rear seat stowing system I think you should just get the car you truly like the most if lr4 requires more repairs you at least have a 20k buffer in cost difference

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
If your goal is to keep your car on the road without nightmare repair costs, you should buy an extended warranty for the truck and sell the truck when the warranty is up. With that in mind, practically speaking, your LR4 will last 7 years.

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't worry so much about the mechanical aspects of it, but rather about the electrical/computer gremlins that can wreak havoc in your pocket book after the warranty expires.

So, it is 7 years or 100k/120k miles, whichever comes first...assuming you get an extended warranty

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gots Geico mechanical breakdown with $250 deductible per incident. Never used it since mine is a 2011 with under 10k miles. A 7year/120k warranty (a good one) would be around $5.5k, or so

The donkey

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Seems like the consensus here is don't take it past 7-years and/or outside of the warranty period. Going to have to do some thinking on that.

Thanks for the input.
Wm

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink