H3 H3t

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this may be better served in another area but thought I would post it here anyway.
I dont check the other areas much.

I was looking at vehicles and ran into the new H3T adventure as well as the H3 adventure. With the adventure pkg they come with front and rear lockers and are runnning on 33" tires
the Past Hummers were not to impressive but this has cought my eye. Mabie I will have to repace my truck for one? "not the LR" the new H3 has got to be verry trail worthy. Anyone else looked at one? Obveously we are all biased to an extent and I am by no way knocking my LR and I love it but the new hummer3s are sick.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't looked at the specifics of wheel travel and such, but the general set-up of the suspension on both H2s and H3s leave something to be desired. Having IFS and a solid rear is not great. You may choose to straddle an obstacle up front and then be forced to try and jog your truck over to put a back tire on that same obstacle to avoid smashing your pumpkin on it.

...but that may be the only ***** in the armor for the H3. It's based on the Chevy Colorado, but it's got a sweet crawl ratio, and lockers all the way around. I think it would kick butt on the trail and certainly beat the hell out of an H2. I think the LR3 would keep up with it though....especially yours with the 2" quasi-lift.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on what you are looking for. The added performance of the lockers (if there is much) is more than offset by a poor ride, small windowed, cramped as hell vehicle. I've never seen them off road, but I'm sure there are ppl here who will tell you the LR is more capable, even with open diffs and smaller tires. I'm still wishing that Hummer would come up with a D90 version 2 door ******* rig.
You're in ******* right? Foot or so of snow today?

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife and I rented an H3 for a week of camping and 4x4ing in Death Valley (you gotta love Hertz for renting 4x4's). While I was impressed with some basic aspects of it's off road ability, it was woefully underpowered (might be better with the new Alpha version with a V8) and got only about 12 miles to the gallon. The interior is very cramped, outward visibility is a joke and the worst of all, the rear seats don't fold flat which means you can't sleep in it. Ours was the burnt orange color and got lot's of looks but GM took the Hummer styling theme too far and ended up with a vehicle that lacks practicality and epitomizes all that the Sierra Club loves to hate in SUV's.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya the visibility sucks. It might be a good replacement for my GMC. we will see Ill check one out in a few weeks when I go down to Grand Rapids then I will wait for a few years and buy a used one If I like it.

I looked at the h3 when it came out pos and looked at an H2 when I bought the LR3 no comparison on that. It dose sound like they are improving as time goes buy.
Roverman ya we are getting a little snow I have 26" on the deck off the yard stick.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having IFS and a solid rear is not great .

Hmmm... there are millions of Tacoma/4Runner/Prado & FJ Cruiser fans that are going to be crushed when they hear this!

FWIW, I just spent the weekend off roading with Bill Burke at the www.dirtytoyschool.com in a 4Runner with a Total Chaos upper control arm upgrade and Icon shocks at all 4 corners. It was awesome. Increadible articulation and absolutely superb at high speeds on sand dunes and whoops.

IMHO, the H3 has the right underpinnings for good off road capablity. Great approach/breakover/departure angles, great drive train, great wheelbase and body dimensions....until you get up to the sheet metal part. Horrible visability, tiny interior, uncomfortable interior layout, not much cargo space, etc....

The FJ Cruiser is very similar in all respects, with the added bonus of reliablity and better (and fewer) plastics. Plus there is a HUGE aftermarket for the FJ.

But ultimately, for about the same cash, just get a Jeep JK Unlimited, and you will have far superior off road capablity, much better visability, decent interior & room, superb drivetrain, with lockers, etc...

Or just wheel your LR3 and have the best of everything.

codemonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The H3t appeals to me because I could fit a few dirt bikes in the back. It was rumored when I was buying my LR3, and I wanted a new vehicle then so it couldn't really factor in.

But, what others have said - icko Hummer styling, poor visibility, etc, all turned me off and made me decide not to wait, as a H3t is still an H3.

Incidentally, poor visibility and ugly styling is what turned me off to the FJ Cruiser, otherwise that would have been in the running too.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if they could only make them as cool looking as their concepts, i could squeeze a little...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90