Had left rear e-brake apply while doing 70mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DonA

Reaction score
Just thought I would share this.

I was traveling down the interstate this Saturday towing an small empty landscape trailer. Had been on the road for about a good 30-40 mins when I start to feel a vibration that got very severe very fast. I assume its either a tire failing or a hub bearing on the trailer. So I pull over, everything looks fine hubs on the trailer are cool to the touch.

Hoping maybe it was the road surface or I picked up something on a tire and it freed itself I start to drive again. Got to about 25mph and its still there and now I can smell something burning. I stop and see smoke pouring out of the left rear wheel. :hmpf:

I replaced all 4 brake rotors & pads about 3 months ago so I knew what I was looking at and quickly diagnosed the e-brake was dragging but only on the left side.

I let it cool down enough to limp off the interstate an into a commuter parking lot. I backed up and jammed on the brakes a few times and applied and released the e-brakes a few times. I let it cool totally off and continued down the road.

I have put about 150 miles on it since then and no problem. I plan to call the dealer today and schedule to have it looked at.

It has to be an electrical issue since I have driven on much longer trips after the new brakes without incident, in fact I had driven 85 miles each way the day before towing a load of shelving for the store I trying to open :mad: .

Can’t help but to think about how dangerous this could be if it happens on a slippery road condition. Remember when you were a kid and pulled the the spin-out lever on your big wheel?

DonA

Reaction score
The problem came back, naturally when I was on my way up to the lake house for vacation. As soon as I hit 70mph the e-brake comes on. If I pull over and stop the issue is still there if I take off again. If I stop and turn off the key the problem goes away until I hit 70 again.

Dealer claims that since I did the brakes myself I adjusted them too tight, Despite the fact I have gone 3500 miles since the brake job and not had any issues until now.

I am convinced they my have masked the issue by backing out the e-brake adjustment. I will do a hill test when I pick it up, it had better hold.

This problem is so repeatable at an exact speed and is cured by a "reboot" I am convinced this is an electrical issue.

Of course since I did the brake job myself, despite using genuine parts I must pay for the labor.

sshafer

Reaction score
Just thought I would respond.

This morning I was traveling 70-75 MPH at 4:30AM and felt the vibration, also thought that I had a tire issue I pulled off the interstate checked my tires and found out that the left rear core of the rotor was red hot. I let it cool down, made it to work, dropped off at the dealer, they thought at first that it could be a bearing, later called and said that it was a defective clip (recall item) for the E-brake. Dealer called for a free rental car because they where out of loaners, they are installing new rotors and pads on both sides under warranty. Hope this helps...

DonA

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Interesting it was your left rear becuase my problem was with the left rear as well

They charged me $87 labor to loosen up the e-brake adjustment. So for it is working but I think they just masked the real problem.

DonA

Reaction score
I called LR USA they couldn't give 2 cents about me or my issues, and I will never EVER again buy, lease or borrow a vehicle from this manufacturer.

They could not find any such recall about a clip, nor give me a straight answer about warranty.

I asked if I use genuine parts on my vehicle and do maintenance myself does this void my warranty, he told me it’s a grey area and could not say yes or no. He did not know.

Umm excuse me you are a CSR for Land Rover USA and you don’t know the answer to this basic question? What a bunch of BS! I believe there are laws pertaining to this.

Its not the $87 but the idea I may have a defective part on my LR3 that could cause a very serious accident

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112