Hazard lights coming on unexpectedly?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strange. It happened twice while at the Pismo Dunes. Both times I had just hit a big bump, but I don't think I even got the tires off the ground.

Pulling the key out and restarting the engine reset the lights. That was the only thing that could reset the lights, hazard switch had no effect.

Accelerometer sensor somewhere in vehicle set off?

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Inertia switch. Back passenger firewall -- black rubber thingy. Push it down, it'll click. Voila! :biggrin:

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warning lights, good/bad friends

Jeff Discos it's a "English" early warning device that warns anyone around
to not rearend you, "as i'm about to breakdown again". Sorry i couldn't resist.
I had a good friend i might add wack the switch to put me in failure, watched and laughed in his beer as i was trouble shooting it. Carl........o&o>.............

M

montanablur

Moose-
Mine does the same thing, is there anything to prevent it? Off road its not that big of a deal, but cruising down the 405 and having to turn your ignition off and back on is sketchy at best...

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ummmm......don't hit curbs, or drive through deep potholes? :evil:

(Sorry, just got done browsing Pirate4x4)

You could bypass it by splicing the wires but (note emphasis) I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND IT. This is a safety feature....

M

montanablur

Sounds reasonable... Yeah Pirate4X4 is rough... I'm waiting for my skin to thicken by a few feet before I ask anything there...

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!, I had a similiar problem w/exterior indicator lamps that I thought was hazard related while wheeling in Mark Twain nat'l forest awhile back. Mine would not stop after a restart. Listen for clicking in passenger footwell. Mine was caused by small green box in upper area of pass. footwell. I removed green box, lights stopped flashing. Rover would not run. Put box back in, Rover runs w/flashing lamps. Took box out, took box apart, cleaned all connections, put box back in. Work great until next large bump. This is where it gets wierd. Removed green box, rapped it on picnic table and re-installed w/velcro pads instead of small bolts. No trouble since! Is that box part of security ecu? The flashing I had was the lamps that signal sys. on/off, not hazards. While lamps were flashing I could push hazard button & get double flash, at that point I realised problem was other than hazards. Good Luck! LRW

castillo8071

Reaction score
Help, flashing hazards without key!!!

Could someone please tell me where this inertia switch is? I think this is what is causing wife's LR3 to act crazy... She got home and when she shut the car off, the hazard lights started flashing and an amber brake light came on....the hazard switch has no effect on the lights but if you turn the car on or step on the brake, it stops. If you turn off, the lights blink and there is also a clicking noise heard....it is really annoying that something like this happens on such a new vehicle. The only way i could turn it off was to pull the fuse. Someone please help if this has happened to you....we have only had this car a few months (2005) around 52K, and we almost didnt because it wasnt under warranty. Im hoping we didnt make a mistake with this purchase.

Any help would be appreciated.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM