HDC Fault/many other faults/LR3 dead

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

412will

Reaction score
Hi - new here and new (relatively) to the Land Rover world. Bought a used LR3 two years ago and up until the last two months, it has been great. About three months ago, the battery died and I replaced it, since it looked like it was pretty old and the install date on the battery was either worn away or never done. After that, everything was fine until a hose blew in the coolant system, spraying coolant everywhere. It was easy enough to have repaired. Then a couple weeks later the check engine light came on - diagnosed as bad air/fuel mix. Garage guy said probably sensor was bad or something else might need cleaned/checked (I'm not much of a car repair person). BOttom line, they said it was fine to run for while.

The LR3 was running fine and everything seemed good until today, my wife was coming home and about a half mile before she arrived, she said everything went haywire. HDC Fault flashing, suspension fault, just about every light on the dash (seatbelt reminder, even though she was buckled) seemed to be flashing and blinking. She got home, parked in garage, turned it off and that was it. The thing is DEAD. Nothing happens when you turn the key. No clicking, no lights, nothing.

I cant even get it into neutral to push is out of garage. Tried to jump it, nothing.

Any help, suggestions, thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm down to thinking about lighting it on fire, even though that means I have to sacrifice the house, too;)

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure about the no shifting to N, that's strange....but I'd start by putting a voltmeter on that battery and seeing if it has juice. Next, I'd check the connections to the battery. Check them at the battery post and then the ground connection.

Globetrotter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Possible alternator problem. LR's require a good battery to work and a shot alternator will ruin a good battery. Disconnect the main alternator lead (big red one) and see if it runs, if battery is flat just jump start it make sure the alternator wire is disconnected. If it runs then check the heavy duty fuse links in the Battery fuse box. May need new alternator or kit to fix it.

Chrisva

Reaction score
I just replaced my alternator also the system does like proper current. But I still get the HDC fault code once in a while at start up.
I'm sure it some elec gremlins.

412will

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. It was definitely the alternator. I could not get the vehicle to jump (from another vehicle) so I called Roadside Assistance and they had one of those fancy battery packs...when he had the pack on the battery, it would give it enough juice to start and unlock the gear shifter, but as soon as he took it off, the vehicle died. So we got it into neutral and rolled it out of garage and had it towed. The alternator was bad and shorted a couple fuses...so replaced those items and back to normal.

Again, thank you for your insights! Happy holidays.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635