Headrest - from an LR2/RRS???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon (for the NA folks),

First time poster with an unusual question...

I'm looking at purchasing a used LR3 and have a question about the 2nd row headrests - I noticed the headrests in the attached image on what's reported to be a 2006 LR3 (from a dealership on the US site cars.com). I hadn't noticed this style of headrest on any of the local (Canadian) dealer's vehicles and was wondering if they were simply a replacement from an LR2/RRS or if they where an option or just something aftermarket... Does anyone have any idea? We typically have baby seats in the 2nd row of our Freelander right now and I was rather interested in the though of not have large headresets in the way for regular driving....

Cheers,

GTC

Attachments

• lr3-2nd-row-headreset.jpg
    lr3-2nd-row-headreset.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 93

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe those headrests are what you get when you only have a five seater LR3 (no third row). With the third row, the headrests look like this (look at the second row in this pic):

embedded..ee8b18c

I'm not sure if they are interchangeable.

-Rich

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 5-seater and my headrests look the same as yours, Rich. My LR3 is a 2005. I happened to be at the dealer today and saw the inside of a RRS; they have the headrests as shown above in GTC's picture.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gtc, the rear head-rests can be removed in any LR3. Not recommended for non-kid seating, of course.

If I remember correctly, the alternate headrests as pictured in your posting are used on 5 seat models without the 35/30/35 split rear seat option (part of the "Convenience Package"?)... very similar to RRS.

Last edited:

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, Grommet is correct. The 3 split rear seat option gets you the big headrests. I just take out the middle headrest and the rear visibility is fine.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, those headrests GTC posted look a lot better. Do they work?

Seems odd that two vastly different designs would work on the same seats, but I'd much rather swap out my tall rear headrests for these. As it is, I keep the middle head rest out because it blocks the rear view mirror.

Anybody want to trade? :)

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Todd, not positive but I don't think you can swap. Those seats operate differently. You first fold the rear cushion up and forward and then the backrest down. I don't think your seats would fold flat with these headrests.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They must come with later model LR3s with the 35/30/35 split then. My 5-seater HSE with that split-option has the GTC-posted headrests....it's an '05 HSE.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Todd, not positive but I don't think you can swap. Those seats operate differently. You first fold the rear cushion up and forward and then the backrest down. I don't think your seats would fold flat with these headrests.
Oh right, that makes sense.

In that case, I like the ones I have. :biggrin: I never liked seats that fold forward and take up that floor space in back of the front seats. I stash all kinds of things in that little nook on road trips when all the seats are down!

(its always good to continously justify things you've already purchased :wink: )

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo