Heater core O ring replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joechan18

Reaction score
After hours of laboring in taking apart the glove box and drilling holes to access the screw that hold the clamp to the coolant pipes, I thought I have finally able to change the O rings and tested successfully without any leaks of coolant. But after reassemble all the parts together, I have discover the leaks got even worse then before. I have two sticky problems that I will need help. 1/ When I tested for leaks the first time after changing the O rings, I tested with the engine on idle speed, was it wrong? But when I drove the car around the block, that's when the bad leaks started. I hope may be I can just try to tighten the screw a bit more but it was pretty tight already. 2/ While reassembling the glove box, the lock cable was not operating right - when I push the button, the release does not engage and I accidentally closed it. Now the glove compartment is closed and I cannot unlock it, help!

I do have to say this forum allowed me to tackle this problem with links and suggestions which I find extremely helpful. Thanks everyone!

Joe

TRD4ME

Reaction score
After hours of laboring in taking apart the glove box and drilling holes to access the screw that hold the clamp to the coolant pipes, I thought I have finally able to change the O rings and tested successfully without any leaks of coolant. But after reassemble all the parts together, I have discover the leaks got even worse then before. I have two sticky problems that I will need help. 1/ When I tested for leaks the first time after changing the O rings, I tested with the engine on idle speed, was it wrong? But when I drove the car around the block, that's when the bad leaks started. I hope may be I can just try to tighten the screw a bit more but it was pretty tight already. 2/ While reassembling the glove box, the lock cable was not operating right - when I push the button, the release does not engage and I accidentally closed it. Now the glove compartment is closed and I cannot unlock it, help!

I do have to say this forum allowed me to tackle this problem with links and suggestions which I find extremely helpful. Thanks everyone!

Joe

A few things.

1. When testing for coolant leaks, a cold engine exerts no pressure on the cooling system. It is only when a closed cooling system heats up that it builds pressure, causing leaks. The best way to verify a repair is with a coolant system pressure tested. You can get one a any parts retailer, such as pep boys or autozone.
2. the seal provided by the oring is internal to the heater core pipe, the screw just keeps it from falling off. Tightening it will only cause the screw to strip.
3. It sound like either the orings may have been incorrectly installed, or it possibly the heater core itself is leaking.
4. if the cable for the glove box release came apart... I do not know a secret to getting one back off. I've seen it done with a big screwdriver.....

joechan18

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I will attempt to get the glove box opened first, then take apart the heater pipes and reinstall again, I 'll try this first before sent out another help signal again.

joechan18

Reaction score
I have finally get around fixing the leaks, turned out I did not tightened the screw enough since I was afraid to strip the screw and I was using my left hand instead of right hand- I'm right handed; I was able to slowly turn the screw several more times. I've tested it by driving around for a while and happy to report NO LEAKS! But the glove box problem still there, I'll find a way to open it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM