Help needed with 95 Disco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

discoskc

Hi all!

Here are some of the symptoms on my baby. I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction.

In most cases, starting the vehicle is fine. But the problem arises when its running.

Sometimes when I come to a stop at a light, or in Seattle traffic, she stalls. If she does not stall, the headlights dim as if they are not getting any power. If I rev the engine, the headlights brighten up. I am running Optima Red Top, which I installed 6 months ago.

I have a relatively new fuel pump. Changed it 20K miles ago, since the dealer said that the fuel pump had died. She is now at 67K miles.

I ran some Seafoam through a couple of weeks ago, but still has the loss of power at idle problem.

Any and all help in helping me diagnose this is greatly appreciated.

Sanu.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alternator is about to be utterly dead, either that, or its good time to clean/replace IAC and other air tidbits. May be worthy to do plugs/wires while at it.

D

discoskc

Already changed the plugs and wires

Sergei,

I already changed the plugs and wires 6 months ago. Put in genuine replacement wires (bought it from the dealer since I did not know where to get aftermarket stuff at that time) and also put in OEM Champion plugs.

I am wondering if I should put in Magnacore wires with Bosch Platinum plugs. Have seen quite a few posts about that combination.

Is changing the alternator something that someone like me who knows how to change oil and plugs do? Is it in an accessible place in a '95? Genuine alternator or an aftermarket one like a Mean Green (? Dont even know if that is right?). Where do I get an aftermarket one, if that is what I should do?

Sorry about all these questions. Its just that when my baby suffers like this, it pains me to see her going through it. Not to mention the pain in my wallet. ;-)

Sanu.

E

Errant

I would not recommend MeanGreen. They have the worst customer service I've ever had to endure. It took them nearly a month to get my order shipped. The regulator on the alt went bad within two weeks, taking out my battery, fusible links, and MFU with it. Another three weeks of trying to get ahold of them for replacment or refund, and have not heard a word back.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem.

To check if its alternator or not - just go to Autozone and get them to check it for free ;)
MG makes good output alternators, but as was mentioned - their customer service SUCK. There are few other options on market for high output, but if you dont have winch and stuff - i'd stick with regular 100/90A one. Magnetti Marelli is best, or you can try direct replacement available from PartsAutoPalace (cant remember brand.. but its freakishly cheap)). Replacing is piece of cake. However - check it first. To not waste money.

I'd clean air ways of Disco first. Specially throttle plate and around. And IAC. And air filter.. ;) (and dont spray on/inside MAF)).

Another thing which worth doing on old truck - pop up gasket covers, and clean push rods, crankshaft. There ought to be loads of gunk by now. Takes about hour/two per side, but makes truck happy as pig in $hit... :)

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loose or corroded battery terminals wont cause dimming of light. Would cause stating issue.

If they are dimming - either draw is going of the battery, or not enouth juice in alternator in general. Or rpms dropping due suffocating/ hard rotating..

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM