Help: Removing Stuck Centralizing Plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B

Banjoman

Hey there,
I am converting the rubber rotoflex coupler to a U-joint on my '96 Disco. I have been able to remove the rubber coupler and the driveshaft with little problem however I have run into a stuck centralizing plug. This is a metal stub that helps align the driveshaft at the coupling I believe.

Anyways, does anyone have any good ideas for removing this plug aside from attempting to purchase the special Land Rover Tool?

Thanks in Advance

Eric

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its centralizing peg :) not plug :)

Easiest way - soak in wd40 or ionizing penetrating BG lubricant. Get screw that fits inside of peg - sorry i cant remember thread size. Get grade 8 bolt. Get wise grips - remove bolt on handle that pushes grips from tight to loose. Get sliding hammer with attachments from your local NAPA store - loan tool or just buy it - it has lots of uses :) One of attachments is actually bolt that can couple wise grip thingy with sliding hammer. Hook wise grips with attached sliding hammer onto bolt you screwed into peg.

Get under truck - about 3 hits and it will be out :)

Alternatively you can try all sorts of "screw on pipe and push" but i bended like 3 different pipes like that till i got sliding hammer :)

You local rover club should have at least few people who did that removal who can help :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM