Hi, new here. Educate me on Defenders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Dmitry

Hi,

I am looking at an "suv"
one i have looked at is the new FJ cruiser. However i have always liked the defender

I am looking to spend anywhere from 25-35k US on one.

now here is the question

What defenders are there?
What makes one more expencive than the other?
What year is the best year to look at?
What options come with them
why are same year similar milage defenders so different in price.
any information you can give me would be awesome
what issues do these cars have

thank you in advance for your help

L

llesra

there is a defender 90 and a 110. numbers refer to the wheel base. the 110 was here for only one year in 1993 so those are very rare and expensive.

a 97 should be the best since its the latest year.

not many options. hard or soft top i guess.

it will leak fluids and there isnt much you can do about that. also loud and slow on the streets.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are two versions of the Defender, each of which has multiple sub-versions based on features.

The first is the 90, so called because of its "90-inch" wheelbase. This is a two-door truck available as a hard top or with a soft (canvas) top, which can be removed.

The other is the 110, which has a 110-inch wheelbase. These are available in wagon (5 doors with a semi-permanent hard top), crew cab (4 doors with a smallish pickup-style bed), or pickup (2 doors, pickup bed).

All US Defenders utilize the 3.9L Rover V8. Interior packages (a/c, radio, seating configuration, etc.) vary greatly.

As to why similar vehicles have different prices, it most likely has to do with condition of the particular vehicle, as well as who is selling it.

They have the same issues as every other Rover -- electrical gremlins, leaks, and an inordinate desire to be driven off-pavement. It's amazing (1) How rough a ride the D90 is on the road and (2) How smooth and fluid the ride is off-pavement.

Hope this helps.

Andy

EDIT: I guess that 96 and 97 Defenders would use the 4.0 V8 with GEMS like the Disco.

EDIT, PART TWO: Get the FJ Cruiser. It looks to be a tough, capable truck, and you'll have a warranty for any mechanical quirks. You can spend the money you save on accessories and/or modifications for it.

D

Dmitry

Moose said:
There are two versions of the Defender, each of which has multiple sub-versions based on features.

The first is the 90, so called because of its "90-inch" wheelbase. This is a two-door truck available as a hard top or with a soft (canvas) top, which can be removed.

The other is the 110, which has a 110-inch wheelbase. These are available in wagon (5 doors with a semi-permanent hard top), crew cab (4 doors with a smallish pickup-style bed), or pickup (2 doors, pickup bed).

All US Defenders utilize the 3.9L Rover V8. Interior packages (a/c, radio, seating configuration, etc.) vary greatly.

As to why similar vehicles have different prices, it most likely has to do with condition of the particular vehicle, as well as who is selling it.

They have the same issues as every other Rover -- electrical gremlins, leaks, and an inordinate desire to be driven off-pavement. It's amazing (1) How rough a ride the D90 is on the road and (2) How smooth and fluid the ride is off-pavement.

Hope this helps.

Andy

EDIT: I guess that 96 and 97 Defenders would use the 4.0 V8 with GEMS like the Disco.

EDIT, PART TWO: Get the FJ Cruiser. It looks to be a tough, capable truck, and you'll have a warranty for any mechanical quirks. You can spend the money you save on accessories and/or modifications for it.

Thank you.... i think you guys pretty much made my choice for me.. although the defender looks like an awesome truck... i just dont think i could handle its "antiqueness" quite yet

D

daytomann

Or you could hold out for a new 07/08 Defender..
defender_teknisettiedot.jpg

defender_yleisesittely.jpg

defender_ulkonako.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112