Hidden Winch Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice.. I really like the look of that newly redesigned front end on white. Another off topic question, are the bumper cameras the little dots just under the fog lights (can't tell if they are the parking sensors or cameras from your photo), or further down, on the corner of the black portion of the bumper?

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct, cameras are under the fogs lights. Black dots on corners are the sensors, there are two more sensors to the left and right of the license plate, here's an edited shot.

Attachments

• _MG_7702-2.jpg
    _MG_7702-2.jpg
    810.2 KB · Views: 116

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DRL are always on from factory on our NAS MY2014.

Now if I can only convince my wife to let me stick a winch in there… ahhh that would be awesome.

Nice write up.
Thanks for posting a photo - I really like the front in white. You should put black lettering on the front, would look very nice. I guess now even on the standard (non-black) trim, they have some black around the grill. I like it a lot!

If you need some help convicing your wife on the winch, I can have mine give her a call. Hehehe.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do like the "black look", however there are so many cars in So Cal that have black accents, I can't follow. I'm a tone on tone guy. If I had it my way, all the badges would be removed or painted white. I even considered white compomotives, ended up going.... Wait for this.... Black. Hahah what a hypocrite!!!

:stupid:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do like the "black look", however there are so many cars in So Cal that have black accents, I can't follow. I'm a tone on tone guy. If I had it my way, all the badges would be removed or painted white. I even considered white compomotives, ended up going.... Wait for this.... Black. Hahah what a hypocrite!!!

:stupid:
HAHAHA! :) WHITE?!? It would certainly look unique.

I think you will love the black wheels. I know there are a lot of cars with black accents, but it just looks different on the LR4 - especially lighter colors like Fuji White.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I definitely like the new front end and while the new camera placement is great for actual curb parking, etc. Talk about really exposed off road... Another candidate for some 3m clear bra coverage.

ClearwaterScott

Reaction score
A very old thread but also one of the ONLY decent guides for install of a hidden winch. One bit of information I can add bit of insight for those attempting this install:

There is no need to drill out the captive nuts. After dissembling all of the pieces I inserted the original bolt a slight amount and then gave it a nice whack with a hammer. The captive nut came out with very liltle resistence. It was one of the easier steps of the install.

What I have run into as the challenge is step number 3:

3) Manipulate the lower radiator support with a 5lb hammer and cloth. No easy way to do this. When you test fit the winch tray, depending on the winch, you will notice that the freespool release fouls on the radiator support. I bluntly used the hammer with cloth to "adjust" the sheet metal upwards to allow for clearance of the freespool. Requires you to test fit the winch and tray multiple times, so get a helper or make sure you ate your Wheaties. I did not want to cut this bit for many reasons, and there is no need to.

I manipulated the heck out of the area trying to make room for the freespool handle. Even after opening up the space there was no room for the winch. I am stuck trying to figure out if I need the freespool handle to function.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what to tell you. I wasn't willing to hack into the metal due to the support it provides around the rad. Only other option is to leave it locked and freespool using the motor.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72