High Country Off Road Fuel Tank Skid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, your right mine does the same as the pic above. But isn't that piece hanging
down on yours more torwards the driver's side of the skid?

Yes I'm going to mod mine to look exactly like yours after they give me the all clear. That little part hanging down dramatically reduces clearance as you can see in my pic.

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sean, That slim piece of plate on mine on the driver's side angles upward. Could it be they welded yours angled downward by accident?

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sean, That slim piece of plate on mine on the driver's side angles upward. Could it be they welded yours angled downward by accident?

Mine isn't really angled. It's about a 1inch tall piece that is about 12" x 8". It's got a couple bolt holes on it that I assumed was for bolting it to the transfer case plate you have from them.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not liking that third image (on your blog) much. That should be a smooth lap, not an angle:

IMG_0726%5B5%5D.jpg

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not liking that third image (on your blog) much. That should be a smooth lap, not an angle:

IMG_0726%5B5%5D.jpg

You're referring to the part that looks like a brace near at the front but towards the center of the vehicle right? I'm going to grind those welds off I don't need that.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're referring to the part that looks like a brace near at the front but towards the center of the vehicle right? I'm going to grind those welds off I don't need that.

I don't think that's what I'm seeing. I looks like the passenger side of the tank skid and how it laps over the RS sliders with a bent angle edge. No need for the bent edge that I can see.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL, why is Infinity sponsoring the Land Rover LR3 forum with banner ads?

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think that's what I'm seeing. I looks like the passenger side of the tank skid and how it laps over the RS sliders with a bent angle edge. No need for the bent edge that I can see.

OK I know what you mean. I agree and that's what through me for a loop at first. If you could see what the skid plate looks like off the vehicle it would make more sense. There are 1x1 steel bars that run as cross members in the plate. these bars are flush with that "rim" or "lip" you are referring too.

My hypothesis is that they wanted some space between the skid plates to absorb the weight when hung up on a rock. Without it the skid plates would be touching and I'd have less protection that the way they built it. The caveat being I'd lose 1" of clearance in SOME parts. With this stupid bracket I'm losing 3".

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to wrap this up. I contacted the manufacturer and they assured me that the extra plate was a manufacturer defect. They sent me a return label for free return shipping of the product so they could send me a new one. I let them know that if this was the only problem I'd prefer to just cut that piece off myself rather than go through the hassle of exchanging it.

Trynian

Reaction score
Just to wrap this up. I contacted the manufacturer and they assured me that the extra plate was a manufacturer defect. They sent me a return label for free return shipping of the product so they could send me a new one. I let them know that if this was the only problem I'd prefer to just cut that piece off myself rather than go through the hassle of exchanging it.

Good to know, it sure didn't look right.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo