High Current DC Source

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lando Man

Reaction score
Hey Ryan-in-Oregon, are you running a V/U or HF rig ?? Where did you plumb juice for your Ham install ?? Rather than hit the under-the-hood-to-the-battery route, I was going to try the power seat bus (Unswitched, fused at 30A) Virutally all 100W SSB rigs draw about 23-25 A peak. The task is simpler for a 50W V/U FM rig is somewhat easier, only needing about 10-12 A cont. Ther are many more options for a tap point in this case. Another poster some months back was going to hit the trailer light ports in the rear C pillar, but I can't imagine them being good for this kind of current. .............R

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Ryan-in-Oregon, are you running a V/U or HF rig ?? Where did you plumb juice for your Ham install ?? Rather than hit the under-the-hood-to-the-battery route, I was going to try the power seat bus (Unswitched, fused at 30A) Virutally all 100W SSB rigs draw about 23-25 A peak. The task is simpler for a 50W V/U FM rig is somewhat easier, only needing about 10-12 A cont. Ther are many more options for a tap point in this case. Another poster some months back was going to hit the trailer light ports in the rear C pillar, but I can't imagine them being good for this kind of current. .............R

I ran a dedicated lead to my battery through the unused grommet behind the brake booster. This is only temporary. I have the parts ordered now to install the 2nd battery in that compartment. From there I have a dedicated fuseblock I added to the left of the steering column which runs all my accessories. (For now Laptop on vehicle dock, ham, ARB fridge). The second battery will be on an isolator so the vehicle electrials are untouched. I am running the ICOM 2200H with my 5/8 antenna mounted off of the Roof Rack rail. As far as the vehicle electrics I don't care to tap into any of the circuits for fear of future problems. This also gives me the ability to run the Radio with the rig off and parked on a lot of the trips I go on this is a plus as the group will get split up and we can still communicate.
Ryan
05 V8SE

Lando Man

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'll look for the "unused grommet" in the BB box. No plans for a second battery. ............R

mhb907

Reaction score
Can you post some photos of the install including the antenna installation? Where did you place the control head and the main chassis?

In terms of power feeds in the rear quarter panel, there is an ignition switched 30 amp feed that is part of the trailer wiring.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you post some photos of the install including the antenna installation? Where did you place the control head and the main chassis?

In terms of power feeds in the rear quarter panel, there is an ignition switched 30 amp feed that is part of the trailer wiring.

I'm not quite savvy enough to get the pic on here but if you send me your e-mail address I'll send you the pics....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4