High Range to Low Range Scarry Feeling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2-3 mph is too slow, either stop completely and do it at a standstill, or bring the speed up to around 10-20 mph, then switch to Low. Flip to Neutral, foot off the gas, hit Lo switch, keep holding it for a second or two as the Lo indicator flashes and then stays on steady, engage Drive, foot back on the gas pedal. There should be no jolt, although you will slow down fairly dramatically, especially if you are downhill and/or still coasting at 20 mph or so. You should not engage HDC.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's just not the case with mine. I didn't try 25 but I was going 15 and pressed the button and held it down all the way til it rolled to a stop. It dinged and said speed to hi for low range. It still didn't go to low when I was stopped until I unpressed the button and pressed it again. Mine is a really late 2013, wonder if they added a safety switch or something?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because it's pointless or you think somehow it's bad? Due to your post I tried today, 4000rpm is a little over 50.
Also tried to switch to switch to lo when going 2 or 3 mph. It dinged and told me no ah ah.

Mostly because it's pointless, but also because it's potentially bad. Lots more stress on driveline components when there is that much torque running through the system. Braking suffers some, as well.

And maybe I'm talking halfway out of my ass, because the speedometer is the last thing I'm looking at when I'm in 4-low and I may very well be doing 20 or 25 mph; I use 4-low for power, but also for precision when driving across obstacles, driving down slopes, driving up inclines, etc.

None of those are situations where speed is welcome.

I suppose that if I pulled a boat or something along those lines, I might go faster. But I don't.

Last edited:

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This highlights an issue that I suspect many have. Not criticizing the OP but let's get real here. If 4LO had actually been previously engaged you would have known not to shift into 4LO at 20mph. Those are basically tractor gears for off road and heavy pulling. I'm sure your drivetrain gave out a cry of pain.

Get out and use your truck in all its different modes. Get a feel for what you have and what it is capable of. This is not a recommendation for Land Rover driving school. In fact you should not attend any school until you have some time behind the wheel. Learn yourself and don't rely on someone else. In the long run you will find that 'school' is over-rated.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mostly because it's pointless, but also because it's potentially bad. Lots more stress on driveline components when there is that much torque running through the system. Braking suffers some, as well.

And maybe I'm talking halfway out of my ass, because the speedometer is the last thing I'm looking at when I'm in 4-low and I may very well be doing 20 or 25 mph; I use 4-low for power, but also for precision when driving across obstacles, driving down slopes, driving up inclines, etc.

None of those are situations where speed is welcome.

I suppose that if I pulled a boat or something along those lines, I might go faster. But I don't.

Yea, I can definitely see in your situation speed with low range is pointless. But my terrain up steep sand dunes where speed / momentum is key along with some beefy torque. So yea, I occasionally use 4 Low at high speed. 90% of the dunes out here don't need it, but there are areas where it makes life a hell of a lot easier! Especially when the difference can mean possibility of getting stuck and dealing with recovery in 100+F temps.

There's no problem using 4 Lo at higher speeds when the situation calls for it. That said, I too believe its stressful on the drivetrain to keep using it when its unnecessary. I just wouldn't tell people flat out NOT to use the Low range over 15 mph. It's incomplete info.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have to try it with my LR4 but the usual pre-solenoid age process for shifting from 4HI to 4LO was to slightly goose the pedal, let up on the throttle and shift as the torque in the system is relieved for that moment. Usually at a crawl for this process. Repeat for back to 4HI.

Personally I plan ahead and select the proper gear ratio when the vehicle is at rest.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simple rules of engaging low range, and Terrain response passed on to me from a Land Rover instructor, and long time adventurist/explorer
- Never engage low range while the vehicle is moving in any modern Land Rover. The LR4 (as well as most modern vehicles) use an electric solenoid to engage low range, and in the LR4 the solenoid will not /Should not engage about 2.5mph. Because of the action happening on a set of dogs and syncro gears, which will find home (if they haven't already), once the vehicle is moving again (hence the flashing light, till it's engaged fully). On "shifted" style transfer cases you are actually meshing the gears so you needed some momentum to help with the engagement.
- Always plan ahead. If you are in a situation where low range will be needed or thought to be needed, engage it prior to reaching said situation
It make no sense to engage it, once it is already needed. Once forward momentum is stopped, chances of "suddenly" engaging low range and pulling through are very slim. Same applies to TR. Select the appropriate mode for the environment.
- I have been off roading with guys who only engage low range once it is needed, needless to say it was a long day pulling/pushing guys through. Unless I am in between obstacles or resting, low range is always engaged.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4