Hood fluttering at high speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sonies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I was doing a long distance haul this weekend on the interstate and noticed something as a passenger... the passenger side of the hood will flap up and down like its not latched at higher speeds or high winds, the driver side is secure, but I am thinking that somehow the latch is not catching properly, or there is maybe some give.

Has anyone else had this problem and solved it? Kinda freaked me out a few times watching it, thinking my hood would all of a sudden fly open going 70mph!

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stop the vehicle get out, and firmly push the hood down on each side and middle to get all the catches.

I've had this occur a few times. There are several hood catches, sometimes they don't catch all the way. It is best to double check when you close it to be sure they are caught, lightly pull up on the hood on each front corner after latching to ensure they are closed.

EIGHTLUG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've gotten into the habit of slamming the hood down and pulling up to see if there is any play. Had the whole juttery hood incident happen to me before. No more...

PhilSessions

Reaction score
My Rear Hatch is the same way. Surprised you didn't get the "open bonnet" alert. Mine seems to be be ultra sensitive.

Sonies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
*sigh* pushing down on the hood didn't fix the issue, my guess is one of the latches is stuck open or just not catching, I'll take a look at it this weekend

EIGHTLUG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SLAM IT! I'm not kidding.

-Also hit the latches with a little lubricant then wipe off the excess.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it acting like the latch it closed (won't go down) you should be able to open it if so. If it is going down, then give it a slam for sure... not of the latch is closed.

Sonies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it acting like the latch it closed (won't go down) you should be able to open it if so. If it is going down, then give it a slam for sure... not of the latch is closed.

its going down, guess i'll give it a good old slam or two till it latches

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are adjustments, have a close look and see if they have perhaps loosened, or the latch slipped or something as well.

You should be able to manually mimic the latching and unlatching process with a screwdriver perhaps to be sure the latch is not broken. A broken latch is not out of the question either.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge