hood release cable broken

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi to you all

I tried to open a bonnet this morning for some service,but to my surprise:biggrin:The release mechanism does not make any sounds.I checked the release handle , by the driver's door for a dis attached cable,but is all fine THERE,which means probably that cable is broken somewhere else down the line,possibly by two catchers in front of the hood.
Has anybody experienced this failure?HOW do i get a front hood open NOW without braking anything?

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a pickle thorgal !! I have not tried, but can you detach the plastic front grill
in front of the radiator with the hood down?

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see how I can do it.I tried to release two tabs first to loose things up,but that is not enough to wiggle it out,besides four additional connectors,that are hold by plastic clips have nowhere to go ,you can,t simply push them up or try to slide out a grille.There is no access to it.I am really in trouble now tring to figure it out,how to gain access to bonnet release cable.Hopefully someone with remedy will chime in soon...

Trynian

Reaction score
Interesting. The cable must have broken somewhere before the hood latches since it is connected to both of them and I doubt both would fail at the same time.

If you look up through the grill on each side you will see the latches. You will be able to see one of the two bolts that hold each latch on. you will also barely see the cable running form one latch to the other. If you can get a hold of it you could give it a good tug and it might release at least on side that could allow enough play in the hood to get the grill off.

You could also try taking out the bolt holding the latch on each side to let the hood/bonnet slide up some to give more room to get the grill out. It looks if you get the grill out you can get to the latches to release them.

Trynian

Reaction score
Also, did you take the bonnet release handle off and the cover to see if the cable is broken close to the handle?

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, did you take the bonnet release handle off and the cover to see if the cable is broken close to the handle?

Yes,I did checked that immediately and cable is still attached to the mechanism with the handle ,there is still a little resistance when I pull it , but no usual thump with release.Now that I think of it ...when i got up in the morning and entered my car there was a massage on info screen saying bonnet open and when I got out of the car and checked the hood ,it was really open,so i opened it fully and closed it again without even thinking why this might happened during the night,probably, released by itself coused by broken cable or malfunctioned latch,I had no coffee at that time yet , so my response to the probable cause was dim and somehow slow....tooo slow.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM