hood release cable/handle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

amg61

on my 96 Disco I the hood (bonnet) release cable under the dash is very tight and tough to pull. also, the handle is rotated 90 degrees so that it faces up/down, instead of side to side. no matter what, i cannot rotate it so that it is parallel with the floor. not sure which way it is supposed to face in the first place. anyway, with extreme pulling effort on the handle i can release the hood, but i am wondering if it should be this difficult, or take this much effort???

M

MightyMax

I would love to see the answer to this aswell. I have the same issue with my 97 Disco I. Plus, all the Disco's I test drove had the same issue.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Land Rover's fix it to replace the worn out cable... you can also go by a motorcyle shop and get a can of cable lube and the little adapter to attach to the cable to make lubing said cable easier.

Or you can do like I did and install locking hood pins and remove original hood pin and say that wasn't that hard.... :)

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had same problems with mine. I just sprayed some wd in the locking mechanism behind the grill. I'm sure there's a better way to lube it but its been working for me.

A

amg61

joey said:
Land Rover's fix it to replace the worn out cable... you can also go by a motorcyle shop and get a can of cable lube and the little adapter to attach to the cable to make lubing said cable easier.

Or you can do like I did and install locking hood pins and remove original hood pin and say that wasn't that hard.... :)

gee, wonder what Land Rover charges to replace that cable? as for cable lube and the adapter, can one only get that at a motorcycle shop? what about a bicycle shop? and, what about the fact that my cable handle is rotated 90 degrees???

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
My cable handle was also vertical, not horizontal you might be able to get that at a bicycle shop, I just know when I used to rebuild motorcycles and ATV's (side money in the Navy) I got it at a motorcycle shop. You don't want to pay what a LR shop would charge do you? If you must replace the cable, just buy it and replace it.... about an hours job.

Or $80 an hour plus parts at the dealership.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72