How big a tire will fit spare wheel well

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tr182md

Reaction score
What "wire" are you referring to?

I wouldn't do that GY.

Not sure why you mention "rubbing"? There isn't any with the 265/65x18 on a fully stock LR3.

A proper tire will be more reliable off road. All of the ones I listed are perfectly suitable for fire roads and light double track/off road.

I may not have been clear. I am looking at 265 but the 285 tires are also attractive. I thought 18" rims would be the end of it but there are so many choices in tires. I am looking for a more aggressive tire than a touring tire. This is my backup vehicle now and I may start getting it more dirty!

Obviously a 285 will have occasional rubbing and the sensor wire needs to be moved as well as the heater hose. a 265 I assumed would just fit. 255 being the OEM size.

The new kevlar all terrain adventure GY seems to be a replacement for the silent armor, with some improvements. Is there a problem with that line? I have read only positives about the newer GY.

http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-all-terrain-adventure
http://www.fourwheeler.com/product-reviews/1403-goodyear-wrangler-all-terrain-adventure/
I know the OEM wranglers are terrible but the duratrac, silent armor, and adventure kevlar all see to get good reviews. Duratrac being too noisy, the SA/ AT Adventure being quieter.

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, up to 31.5" tire does not require "heater hose" (rear fender liner bulges) to be modified. 32"+ does require it though.

I strongly suggest you consider the BFG 265 width for it's overall superior shape and design and not this wider problematic tire. Sounds like you are letting the "look" of the wider tire sway you where it shouldn't.

Duratrac is no more noisy than other similarly patterned tires. The lr3 is a fairly quiet vehicle. You're just asking for trouble for no real gain by going to 285 width.

tr182md

Reaction score
What "wire" are you referring to?

I wouldn't do that GY.

Not sure why you mention "rubbing"? There isn't any with the 265/65x18 on a fully stock LR3.

A proper tire will be more reliable off road. All of the ones I listed are perfectly suitable for fire roads and light double track/off road.

I thought that 265/65/18 was 31.56 which is why my preference was for 265/60/18.

I will look at the BFG.

Thanks.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, correct, all 265/65x18 tires will be close to that 31.5" diameter. Being slightly narrower they fit perfectly on the lr3. They are also the ideal width/proportion for the 8" wide factory 18" wheels. The 285/60x18 that many people try do look cool being wider but otherwise they are more problematic due to the width and not ideally sized to an 8" wide wheel.

For example, the Mercedes G AMG 18" wheel is 9.5" wide. 285 width tires are perfect for that width.

Where are you located?

tr182md

Reaction score
I have read some reviews of the BFG and one person said he had some rubbing. At extreme compression. I do like idea of more sidewall. Kevlar sounded nice as I have had a few flats.

I do wonder about a larger diameter tire as I know it will change speedo. Not sure how it would affect other computers like terrain response. I don't use speedo anyway I look at a portable GPS for my speed.

I looked at my car and can't see any wire so I am good there.

I did read that some feel the BFG tires are pretty stiff for rock crawling but I am not going to do anything that extreme unless I lift it and get some armor. I joined a 4x4 meetup club recently so may go out a little.

Curious that many people say get iidtool as one of first things. I have had suspension fault but that was when rodent chewed my engine harness. I had so many failures. I did drive around in access mode to get to dealer. Insurance paid but after a year I think I may have just fixed last problem. (Still need to drive for a month to make sure) had check engine light that they could not get rid of. Would come back after I brought it home for a few days.

Live near Seattle. Still live this car if you can believe it! Got another car for backup now. Can't afford not to be able to go to work.

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what year is yours? I'm in Seattle too. Which meetup did you join? I would be careful going out with anyone who uses beet up "toy" 4x4's as they could bring you into situations resulting in damage whereas a Land Rover or modern Land Cruiser crowd is probably more likely to take care and be mature about such outings.

There's a rover group here but I cannot remember the name.

The only time there might be slight rubbing with the BFG is at the extremes which it sounds like would be rare. Also, realize that there can be minor "rubbing" which for a moment is no big deal vs frequent contact which is not what people are usually talking about.

A lot of what you hear about things like "stiff for rock crawling" is from very specific discussions about the extreme situations where minute differences may matter to one person but are otherwise a factor never experienced in general uses.

It sounds like you would appreciate the IIDTool. Unless you want the Bluetooth feature, the standard model with EAS and vehicle adjustments is perfectly fine.

tr182md

Reaction score

My wife has a saying when I obsess over minute details. "When you bring it home it will be the best one you have". Seems to work. The general grabbers look good too. I think any tire will be fine. Have synchrones now but they are more of a road tire.

Will have five 19" rims to get rid of.

I went on tire rack and both tires get good reviews from Landrover owners. Since I am not doing a lot of off road maybe stock sizes are best. Curious about the Johnson rods.

I joined one of the jeep groups. The one that does not way have to have jeep. I would only go on light trips. Ones stock jeeps would do.

I am near bothell to be more specific.

Will look for Landrover group.

Last edited:

Mx468

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hankooks

I got the hankook dynapro at rf 10 265/60/18 and they are amazing so far. I've put about 13,000 miles on them and they still look new. They also come with a 50,000 mile warranty. I'm also running rock armor height rods which raises my truck 2 inches higher than stock and the wheels fill up the space nicely. I had the Nittos 285/60/18 and I felt they were a little to wide for the LR3. My Indie mechanic told me that the 265 width was better for the snow that we get up here in New England.

Pic number 2 shows the Nitto's I had and pre-plasti dip wheels.

Attachments

• IMG_6413.jpg
    IMG_6413.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • 4EAE0CB0-A30F-4567-B55D-6E55C2B600BE_1.jpg
    4EAE0CB0-A30F-4567-B55D-6E55C2B600BE_1.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4964.jpg
    IMG_4964.jpg
    867.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

tr182md

Reaction score
That is a good look. My check engine light came back on. Will start another thread for that.

I wonder how long those rims will stay black?

Do you have 265/60/18 as a spare? Does it fit easily?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo