How do I change tranny fluid? Also shifts hard 1st/2nd gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

F

freelander02

I just bought my first 2002 SE freelander. It seems like it shifts from 1st to 2nd a bit rougher than other SUV's. Is this normal? Also, can the Tranny fluid be changed on my own or do I have to take it to a stealership? I have been a bit nervous with the tranny shifting.

Jason

F

freelander02

Wow!! I didn't know it was so hard I can't get a response. I'm selling this piece of crap. I have been told they are known for bad transmissions and they don't deserve the land rover name even on them. Plus, I can't get a simple reply in any forum.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, I was waiting for someone with more freelander knowledge to step up to the plate.

Yes you can change the transmission fluid, and IIRC someone in the freelander section even explained how to do this in one of the posts.

As far as bad transmissions, I have heard this, I also have heard the can have engine issues as well. But I also here all about issues people have with the RR and the Disco, but I think it has some to do with how well you do take care of it and/or neglect it when it does need service.

F

freelander02

Sorry, I was waiting for someone with more freelander knowledge to step up to the plate.

Yes you can change the transmission fluid, and IIRC someone in the freelander section even explained how to do this in one of the posts.

As far as bad transmissions, I have heard this, I also have heard the can have engine issues as well. But I also here all about issues people have with the RR and the Disco, but I think it has some to do with how well you do take care of it and/or neglect it when it does need service.

Well I just bought it and drove it two days before this started happening. Now I'm thinking it's a POS with all the stories I'm hearing. It has only 60K on it and I'm taking it to get service tonight. The Transmission fluid is only provided by Land Rover. (What a joke that is). Now the stealership gets more money.

Jason

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you buy it at a LR dealership? If so, make sure they fix it right. You should have gotten some kind of warranty with the purchase...

F

freelander02

Did you buy it at a LR dealership? If so, make sure they fix it right. You should have gotten some kind of warranty with the purchase...

All I got was a 30 day warranty. They are covering the Tranny Flush Etc. I talked to a guy on the phone today named Pierre who services these and he must be from Austrialia but he said they are junk.

Shermie

Reaction score
The 2002-2004 Freelanders all suffer from 'optimistic' Transmission Fluid change intervals. One look at the owners manual states that the Transmission Fluid's FIRST CHANGE is at 60kmiles. I always thought there was something fishy. First change at 10kmiles over the warranty?? A former LR mechanic who I met commented the following. He said that he saw Jatco Transmissions being ordered "by-the-truck-load" back in 2003-2005. Unfortunately, I was not one of the lucky few whose Jatco boxes failed before the 5 year-50kmile warranty. Yet my new Freelander always had a hard-shift from 3rd to 4th gear, and still does today, even with 4th and 5th gears splipping. You can have your Jatco Transmission repaired by a reputable shop as I may do soon. It may just be the solenoids or another simple cure. But if your car has not had the LRN-402 fluid changed yet... and your 1,2, and 3rd gears are shot, I would say you need a Tranmission job. Not only may this be bad, but the Freelander also has two other parts that also give trouble. One part is the Transfer case and the other the Viscous Coupling unit. If you have your LR repaired, the mechanic may also recommend changing one or both of these depending on their condition. Despite my numerous requests to have my Jatco box serviced at 30kmiles and almost every 5k beyond that, the dealer response was the same as the owners manual "Not necessary until you car reaches 60kmiles". Now I know why.. Good luck and hope this helps.

happyhippo

Reaction score
Aaahh the Jatco tranny issue... Here's a little insight. Yes these trannys have not had a good reputation but I think it's largely due to poor servicing and care on the owners part. People must also realize this is not a Ford, GM or Toyota. It's a European vehicle that needs particular service and care that I'm sorry to say seriously lacks at some dealerships. If you want to drive a LR it's going to cost you no matter what model it is. I personally have had no trouble but I'm still at just 53K miles. I recently changed my fluid myself and it was no problem. The only thing that kinda sucks is there is no dipstick, just a level plug. But your under there anyway draining the fluid. The fluid isn't something you can get at Autozone but I picked up 5qts from the dealership at $10/qt. And I agree the 60k recommendation is too long. Most of the problems with these trannys has been solenoids going bad but dealerships just say 'oh bad transmission'. Someone on another forum recently diagnosed and replaced a bad solenoid and what most would have paid $3000 for a new tranny costed him about $42 in parts and an afternoon taking the pan off to change it.

Shermie

Reaction score
Is there a way to know for sure whether the JATCO solenoids are the culprit. In my car I have been driving now for 8 month's on a faulty Transmission. The LR dealer wants $7500 to swap-out the JATCO unit.

My car shifts perfect in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Then comes 4th gear and the transmission completely slips of the accelerator is forced. But if I manage to have a flat road, and plenty of patience, the car will shift all the way into 5th.

Both 4th and 5th gear can be made to slip by pushing down on the accelerator, or if climbing a hill at speed (50 Mph).

So far the LRN-402 fluid has been replaced twice during the life of my car. 1st time at 53kmiles and second and 65 kmiles.

My car now has 77kmiles and is once again leaking coolant from the thermostat housing (the intake manifold has been replaced 2x under warranty and 1x out of warranty).

If I buy the complete solenoid pack and replace, does the car need to be computer reset by the LR Test Book system? I can buy the complete solenoid assembly pack for $550 in Miami or $800 locally at my LR dealer.

Is it worth a try? Or should I just swap-out the complete JATCO for a $3000 rebuilt unit?

After all, I decided to keep my 2002 Freelander till the bitter end....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72