How do I remove this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vinnysca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to remove this? It's the mat retention tabs for both driver and passenger. I don't want to just pull on it, fearing that I might break it. I ordered a weathertech mat for my LR3 and from what the website picture shows, there is no hole for this part to go into.

Thanks.:rolleyes:

Vince.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I have no idea... My LR3 pre-dates these attachments. :smile:

danavan

Reaction score
Why not use a dremel tool or knife to modify the mats vs. the LR3? I've done that (have put weather tech mats & cargo liner in every vehicle since '99). That way, the mat will stay put and the LR3 stays closer to original when you resell/trade in.

When I've seen those retention hooks ripped out, I've also seem carpet come with them.

Ifyou're intent on getting them out, I'd cut off the vertical protrusion and leave the plastic rectangle base attached the the floor.

zdas04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cut the vertical part under the hook with a wire cutter. After I got the first one out I saw that there was probably a way to unhook it, but didn't care enough to try to figure it out. Took two seconds to cut the second one out. If I had figured out how to remove them, I probably would have then tried to find a place to store a $0.50 piece.

If you cut one of the verticle pieces, then the bottom (under the carpet) slides out of a slot on the other end. Leaves the slits in the carpet that the tabs went through, but they are not visible (especially under the rubber mats from my 2005 LR3 which fit just fine).

David

vinnysca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll try and fiddle with it when it gets warmer. The weather here in the north country is wicked cold. Living on a lake doesn't help either. Brrrrrrr!

Vince.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My LR mats came with similar posts but I did not use them. They were just hand screwed into the carpet (big wide plastic threads). I would try turning them counter clockwise and see if they back out. If that doesn't work, cut them as everyone else said so you don't muck up your carpet. Good luck.

zdas04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They don't unscrew, they look like safety pins.

David

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo