How do you engage your shifter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bizdack

Reaction score
When engaging to "D", do you slam the shifter from Park to Drive (bypassing R and N) or do you slowly engage at each point?

The reason I ask is if I slowly engage to D (say from N), it seems like it wouldn't engage and "D" wouldn't display on the MFD. I need to slam/pull harder to engage to "D".

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like a knife through butter

I just slide her into "D" and head out. There is a cable in the equation, I'd probably get that checked out. I'd be afraid of the opposite happening, Put it in park, it doesn't engage and then...? Which brings back the old Park Brake thread, which I'd rather not discuss.

bizdack

Reaction score
Hahaha funny dave... then the thread becomes hijacked with the brake issue.

Mine does go in smoothly. Really no issue to shift at all... but sometimes, when shifting to D, it feels like I have to "rough it up" downward with some force and ensure a sensor is tripped in order to fully engage/display the "D" in the MFD.

... or maybe she really needs to be roughed up in engaging to D.

I'm just having 2nd thoughts about bringing to dealer for fear of not replicating.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave, hope you're not permanently scarred by the PB thread:)
bizdack, since it is a 'feel' issue, you're really the only one who can say. I'd take it in if it doesn't feel right. Mine feels no different than any other automatic.

bizdack

Reaction score
Just an update just incase anybody might come across this thread.

Dealer adjusted the shifter (bowden) cable and my shift indicator on the MFD no longer has any issue nor any hesitation.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge