How long can I drive after "Brakes Worn" light comes on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

horatio8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At my service appointment last month I was warned that my rear brakes on my 2010 LR4 were low. Now the "brakes worn" warning light has come on. The problem is I have a deal to purchase a 2013, but it won't be delivered until June 1st, or maybe later. I don't have an agreed price on my 2010 trade-in yet as we figured we'd do that closer to the 2013 delivery. This would be the 2nd brake job on my 2010.

I'm thinking I should get the brakes done as it will be reflected in my trade-in either way, either as a positive or negative. My better half says just drive it back and forth to work (15 miles) and try to avoid the outlay for the repair. Would that be really unsafe, or am I being alarmist? Advice is welcome.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you avoid the repair, you will be replacing the rotors which will cost you more. If you wear through the pads you will groove the rotors.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't skimp on or delay a brake job that's obviously due, I don't care what's happening in a month or two. Get an indy shop to do the pads and rear wear sensor (as long as you are sure the rear ones are the worn set), it's a relatively quick and inexpensive fix.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
15 miles a day is 75 miles a week plus other uses you will inevitably do. You are looking at close to 100 miles a week for potentially 6 weeks. That's a lot of miles on worn pads/disks.

I would look at the brakes and see if it needs just pads or rotors also. If it is just pads, get it done (especially if it's just one set - fronts or rears). No doubt about it. If the dealer sees the light on, he will definitely ding you on that. He'd be dumb not to.

I generally don't F around with worn brakes or tires. Way too risky. Especially on a heavy vehicle like the LR4.

You will probably be ok, but it's not the right thing to do and you never know what can happen.

If you decide to not do the work, I would drive like a grandma if I were you.

horatio8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the good advice. I'll make an appointment for this week.

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may be fine, the sensor trips when there is about 2mm left, which should easily last you a few hundred miles. But it is far from perfect, as the sensor is only on one pad per axle, so if the other side has worn a little bit fast for any number of reasons, you could be even lower then the 2mm.

horatio8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may be fine, the sensor trips when there is about 2mm left, which should easily last you a few hundred miles. But it is far from perfect, as the sensor is only on one pad per axle, so if the other side has worn a little bit fast for any number of reasons, you could be even lower then the 2mm.

That''s good to know as far as safety until my appointment next week. I think it's not worth taking the chance until my 2013 delivery, as I think you agree. Thanks for the response.

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, buy the pads for around $100 per axle and change them out yourself. Done with minimal out of pocket.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM