How to test an Air Strut?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crunchy When Wet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This weekend my 06 LR3 gave me a suspension fault while driving in the desert, the next day noticed the passenger side rear wheel suspension was all the way down.

Is there a quick way to tell if it is the Air Strut that is bad or something else like a bad valve, I have searched but found nothing. I did not hear a loud pop which is what I would expect if I popped it, unless its just at the end of its life with 96k miles.

If anyone has a link to manually running the compressor that would be great...or advice, thanks in advance.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was it physically all the way down, or on the screen (ie: bad height sensor).

You should be able to spray it with soapy water and check for leaks, and also the air lines. They can be rebuilt or replaced.

It seems like if it's popped then the compressor would be running a lot, and it wouldn't raise. If the compressor is not running a lot, maybe as you mentioned, the valve block couple be plugged up. Also, for kicks it would be worth having a look at the desiccant filter, and see the condition of the material. If it's lumped up, it may be breaking down and going down the pipe to the valve blocks.

Last edited:

Crunchy When Wet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it was all the way down, tire was rubbing on the wheel well. The next day the rest of the corners joined in, so since then I have ordered 6mmx1/4 connectors to manually inflate so I can get it somewhere to be looked at, can't tow it as its too far and too pricey. So for now it sits in the driveway, if anyone has a eas code reader in phoenix area that would be great if they could read codes.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks -- Maybe someone will, most of the more advanced ones are locked to a VIN.

bbyer has a how to install such a setup for manual inflation, and also, another possibility, would be do disconnect the air compressor and associated circuits when it is inflated and see if it holds up.

You'll find a wealth of DIY stuff on the switch/disconnect and valves here;
http://www.disco3. co. uk/gallery/index.php?cat=15405

Trynian

Reaction score
There is probably no real way to test an individual spring unless you have an individual spring testing tool or make one. if it is the valve block leaking you can look at that.

You live in the phoenix area so there are many independent shops and a couple dealers so I don't understand why you cant get it checked out.

Unless you get the codes read it is all just guessing.

Crunchy When Wet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So got the connectors yesterday, installed them on the air line going into each strut, and inflated with my compressor under the hood, got the rear to normal height, where it has remained as of this morning, the front however was a different story. I found the front to be more difficult to raise, but I did get it aired up about 2 inches above the tires, but this morning the front was back down on the stops. I am pretty sure the front dropping down is from the fittings I attached leaking air, the lack of work space, and alcohol. I am also going to bring home a larger compressor (one under the hood is kinda small).

I forgot to mention the air compressor was replaced in August, so I am pretty sure it has no problems (if it does its under warranty), so in my mind that leaves the valves and height sensors (unless I forgot a component).

At this point I am "pretty mostly sure" the struts are still intact (the front never dropped down before the suspension fault, so I believe that is because of me, I also removed all fuses for EAS).

The reason I don't just get it checked out is because the closest place to take it is the Land Rover dealership an hour and a half away, there is also an indy shop about 10 min further than the dealership, the next closest Land Rover facility is in Tucson about three hours away from me. My LR3 is paid off and its not a daily driver, so it can sit in the driveway for awhile, don't bother me none, I will take it eventually, but I will drive it there once I have some free time and I get the front aired up, but there is no way I am going to pay $100 - $150 to get it towed somewhere (and then get it towed back for another $100 - $150 to make repairs) That just seems like a waste of money to me. I might just get the IIDtool to avoid this hassle in the future.

Once I get the rest of my parts in that I ordered, I will post pics, and report what the suspension fault was.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635