HSE vs HSE-Lux Leather

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I make final decisions today before going in to place my order this evening I wanted to better understand the differences between the HSE and Lux leather options. The vehicle I test drove was an HSE and the leather wasn't necessarily bad in this vehicle at all but without seeing an HSE Lux I am not sure what to expect between the two.

I have found a couple threads on this but not one that solely discusses this in terms of:

1) Softness
2) Durability
3) Quality

I know some of you made mention in other threads that you worried about the Lux's durability compared to the HSE. After some time have you had any issues?

I have a 70 lb dog that will live in the back seat as well as have outdoor equipment in and out of the vehicle. I do tend to take care of my vehicles, leather seats included but is the leather of significant quality that it cleans up easily without bleaching from cleaners and conditioners?

Thanks

samcarloso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far my 2010 Lux looks and feels brand new. I really enjoy the feel and the softness of the leather. they are the best seats I have ever sat in any vehicle. I have had no issue to clean up with maguires leather and conditioner cleaner all in one. I have 4 & 10 yr old boys that are very rough on the interior. Another thing to note on lux leather is the heated seats seem to ********* much better.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the HSE (non-lux) leather on my 2011 and now have the HSE Lux leather on my 2013. I can tell you that the HSE Lux leather is quite an upgrade and is very durable. Having had both leathers, and putting it to the test, I feel that both are equally durable. I have 2 dogs (one is 90 lbs and one is 60 lbs), etc. and I found that any marks come off the HSE Lux leather a bit easier, not sure why. I use a good leather cleaner/conditioner about once a month and it looks like brand new and is holding up very nice (granted my truck is newer). I don't think you will have anything less durable if you go with the HSE Lux leather. The comfort is quite improved and I highly recommend the upgrade. Plus, you get a few nice upgrades with the Lux package.

Lumber_Jack

Reaction score
after a car wreck totaled my 2010 HSE Lux me and my wife set out to look for a replacement. as it had 88K miles on it the insurance check wouldn't quite cover the newer models the dealer had on the lot. So we looked at a couple non-LUX models to try to save some dough. both models were 2010, less than 70K and both drivers seats had cracks in the leather where it folds as one enters and exits the vehicle. I questioned the dealer and he stated they have seen that some on the non-Lux as the leather isn't as soft and leads to cracking easier if not conditioned regularly (as most people don't)

I know the leather seems like it would be weaker on the LUX but I find it very durable and I would do everything possible to get the LUX option. It also adds memory power driver seat and the console cooler.

We ended up buying a 2011 HSE LUX and don't regret it for a second

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after a car wreck totaled my 2010 HSE Lux me and my wife set out to look for a replacement. as it had 88K miles on it the insurance check wouldn't quite cover the newer models the dealer had on the lot. So we looked at a couple non-LUX models to try to save some dough. both models were 2010, less than 70K and both drivers seats had cracks in the leather where it folds as one enters and exits the vehicle. I questioned the dealer and he stated they have seen that some on the non-Lux as the leather isn't as soft and leads to cracking easier if not conditioned regularly (as most people don't)

I know the leather seems like it would be weaker on the LUX but I find it very durable and I would do everything possible to get the LUX option. It also adds memory power driver seat and the console cooler.

We ended up buying a 2011 HSE LUX and don't regret it for a second
I agree completely!

The leather on the non-Lux is quite a bit more firm/hard and it does need to be conditioned a lot - a lot less flexibility.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay you guys have put the nail in the coffin then with the Lux package. Was considering saving the $3K but nevermind!

Lumber_Jack

Reaction score
Okay you guys have put the nail in the coffin then with the Lux package. Was considering saving the $3K but nevermind!

You won't regret it. After owning a LUX, even during a test drive I could notice a significant difference in comfort. Spoiled?.....yes

GermanRoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now you need to evaluate whether or not you want the extended leather...or maybe that is included now with the Lux package.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now you need to evaluate whether or not you want the extended leather...or maybe that is included now with the Lux package.

I don't understand the purpose to the extended leather in cars. Just not sold on that one.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the purpose to the extended leather in cars. Just not sold on that one.
It is really nice on the LR4, but I did not get that package on my 2013, as I personally would not want it. It's way too much leather to maintain and possibly ruin. I prefer the non-leather in those locations.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99