hydraulic system rumbles loud!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

medlaw100

Reaction score
Upon starting my LR3 EVERY time until car warms up, it now rumbles and rattles embarressingly LOUD. Why is it doing this? It will still raise and lower the vehicle. When it is doing this if I change the height it stops momentarily then starts again until the car warms up. AHHHHHH! It was purchased in 2005 new and just started this recently.

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Upon starting my LR3 EVERY time until car warms up, it now rumbles and rattles embarressingly LOUD. Why is it doing this? It will still raise and lower the vehicle. When it is doing this if I change the height it stops momentarily then starts again until the car warms up. AHHHHHH! It was purchased in 2005 new and just started this recently.

Just a guess, maybe the compressor is loose. Once the bags get up to pressure, the compressor stops which may be why the rattling stops after it "warms up".

Also, the suspension system is pneumatic, not hydraulic. . . but I understood what you meant.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the (typical) prices of all those parts compared to that of a new compressor, and would the new new compressor come with all that new stuff?

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might be worthwhile replacing the dryer, adding a compressor refresh kit. Then there is a software update, and a new relay, which lowers the operating pressure of the compressor to extend it's life.

Last edited:

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Check you compressor bracket. May be loose or broken.

medlaw100

Reaction score
Pneumatic (not Hydraulic) Suspension Rattles

Want to thank both MilehighLR3 and duckdive for the tips. I will check it out tonight and post the results. Hey Duckdive you surf? I just noticed the handle and it is obvious, but thought I'd ask. I live in Ormond Beach and surf as often as possible. However this is the east coast, so epic days are far and in between.

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Duckdive you surf? I just noticed the handle and it is obvious, but thought I'd ask. I live in Ormond Beach and surf as often as possible. However this is the east coast, so epic days are far and in between.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I get out a couple times a week to keep my head straight. I'm in the San Diego/Del Mar area, lots of fun breaks here.

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going with Duckdive...compressor bracket is probably broken in two. Had the exact same thing...it just started rattling one day and when I took the cover off the compressor, it was just floating around up there and banging against the frame.

Duckdive, are you going to come up to the SCLR meeting next week on Cleghorn?

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking about crashing that party Jim. Had a great time with SCLR in Borrego. Missed you on that one. Have to see what my schedule looks like at the beginning of next week.

DD

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9