Incorrect Purge Flow P0441

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grant

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been reading these boards for a while now. What a great resource. I have run into a problem with my 2004 Disco II that I can't seem to figure out. It's got 115k miles on it and is currently throwing a P0441 code. I had it in the dealership a while back and they told me it was a purge valve failure. I bought a replacement purge valve and installed it, checked the fuel cap and its snug. It's showing a pending trouble code of the same P0441. Any ideas on what else it might be?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Normally this would be the gas cap as you checked, it could also be the purge solenoid and sadly even a bad canister.

Are you the one who always fills the gas tank? Do you always make sure to click it at least 3 clicks minimum? I normally go for 4-6 clicks.

If someone else has filled it they may not be clicking it enough, all it takes is one engine start to kick the code with the cap loose or off.

Otherwise like I stated, check the solenoid to make sure it is closed (make sure not to mess up the placement of the vacuum lines or you will still have issues.

Grant

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'll double check everything.

Grant

Reaction score
UPDATE....Gas cap is secure, I've swapped out the purge valve, installed a new fuel cap, but the P0441 code is still coming back. I pulled the evap canister located beside the leak detection pump under the truck to inspect the lines and didn't see any issues. However, when the evap canister was turned on its side, some oil-like liquid poured out. It smelled like gasoline, but had the texture and color of oil. I didn't let it continue to empty and righted the canister. Should there be liquid in the canister? Is it completely saturated and would that be causing the incorrect purge flow? Thoughts?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
sounds like the canister is full/bad...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99