Input Requested for Discovery II Evaluation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vosrare

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I recently had a strange string of events happen at a dealership (shocker) which led to them agreeing to trailer the vehicle to me for a test drive before I agree to buy it (if you're curious, the short story is that they lost the keys to it and all I could do was a walk around). So, here is my question...if you only had 30 min to evaluate a 2002 Discovery II, what would be your main points of focus? It has 90K on it with stock drivetrain and suspension, newer cooling system components, new ABS pump, good wheels/tires, good brakes, clean interior, and a recently fixed 3 amigos problem. The only glaring problems I know of are that the drivers window doesn't work (according to the dealer), I noticed an oil leak possibly eminating from the LH side of the engine (not sure exactly where though), and two holes on the top of the front bumper where something was supposed to be attached (sorry, it's my first LR...possibly headlight wipers or something). Chassis and suspension looked great. I've been a military aircraft mechanic for 15 years, so I have good mechanical inclination, I'm just new to the Discovery and want to make sure I'm not getting more of a project than I want (though I DO expect to work on it and perform all possible maintenance myself). Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Oil leak is probably power steering or just normal rover leaks.

Two holes in bumper would be the headlight washer sprayers.

Window could be a bad window switch (check for water stains at the sunroof area) since water can come right down on the switches. It could be a bad motor, but check switch first.

I guess the real question is the cost. under 6k?

vosrare

Reaction score
Hey thanks, Joey. I'll check for water damage from the sunroof. Good call. I live out in Oregon, and I've never seen a Discovery out here under 100k go for under six thousand. I've got the price under control, I'm just worried I'll miss something that I should have known to check. Thanks again!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The only other real issues with the D2 would be head gaskets (can really check till they go bad), and if it has secondary air, this can be expensive to fix but sadly is a waste at least as far as I can tell. You will hear them whistle under the hood (passenger side) when they start to go bad. Not all D2's have them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM