Installed new cats now wont start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
97 Discovery SE7
135000 miles

Just installed two catalytic converters. I replaced the driver's side cat and then started the vehicle. No problems.

Removed the passenger side cat which was very difficult. Lots of banging while I used a reciprocating saw to cut out the old cat.

Installed new cat and was going to reset the codes before starting. My reader said "Faulty Reading" and I also notice my "check engine" light did not come on when I turned the key to the on position.

Cranked the engine and no start. Felt like it was not getting fuel. Shot some starter fluid into the intake and it caught for a second.

Pulled the fuel pump and tested it. It is OK.

Did I mess up the computer or something? I pushed the reset button behind the washer fluid container just in case the fuel cut off turned on but that did not help.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reset the enerita switch on the passenger side firewall near the hoses and see if that fixes you.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did that. No change. But I am going to let it sit overnight with battery disconnected and try again.

Does the ignition have to be turned on when I hit the inertial switch?

Thanks. I'll let you know if it fire up tomorrow morning.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never disconnect the battery, if anything it will just erase a lot of memory the the different computers and put you in a worse place.
Sp now you may want to focus on the crank sensor.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also when I was going to clear codes before starting the code reader said LINK ERROR.

Tried starting this morning-no fuel to engine still.

But I think the LINK ERROR message on my code reader may give you a clue to what I accidentally disconnected when I removed the passenger side cat.

Thanks

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im thinking I may have somehow disconnected the crankshaft sensor. Looking in my shop manual it says the crankshaft is the most important sensor on the engine.

I'll look at it and report back.

Thanks,

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed the crank sensor (I actually had one that I never installed because of where it is located).

Still wont start and my Check Engine light does not come on when I turn the key on.

This problem started after I removed and installed new cats. Started fine after I changed out the driver's side cat but after removing and installing passenger side cat, no "Check Engine" light when I turned the key on and no start. Car cranks but no start.

Any ideas. I'm out of them.

Thanks

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled the four relays behind the passenger kickplate and the immobilizer switch and I now have a "Check Engine" light and readable codes again.

I am going to replace all four relays.

Can the Disco run without the immobilizer switch? Probably not.

If that is bad I'll see if the dealer has it. OUCH.

But overall, good news. When I get it started I'll report back.

Thanks Disco Mike for your suggestions.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FINAL ENTRY.......

Cleaned the inertia switch and it fired right up!

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disco Mike hit right on didn't he?... I've been watching his recommendations and he's pretty sharp!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9