iPod Functionality on the Dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UGAgirl97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi...

I dont currently own an LR4, but plan on buying one in the next couple of months. From what I have read so far, it seams like using my iPhone 4 as my iPod in the car may be a bit of a hassle so I am considering just buying an iPod Nano to use exclusively in the LR4 b/c my iPod is virtually all I listen to in the car and I want my phone and my music to work fully.

So, my question is, do you really have full functionality of your iPod on the dash...meaning, can you really see your playlists, albums, song list, etc on the computer screen so I can pick and choose what I want to listen to or is it better to do all of that on the ipod itself. The reason I am asking is b/c I have an oppt to get an iPod 16gb for $50 b/c the backlight is out. Obviously, this wont matter since I plan to only use it in the car, but if I dont have full functionality on the computer screen on the dash then it would be an issue.

During my test drive, there was not an iPod integration cord in the vehicle so I could not test this out. Any comments would be useful b/c I would love to get a cheap iPod since it will just live in my car, instead of spending $200. Thanks for your help on this odd questions :)

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010 HSE and have no problem connecting my iphone 3GS. I have full control of all the features you mentioned. You can also put all your music on a USB drive. I use both and they both work pretty well. Good luck.

UGAgirl97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010 HSE and have no problem connecting my iphone 3GS. I have full control of all the features you mentioned. You can also put all your music on a USB drive. I use both and they both work pretty well. Good luck.

Thanks for your response. When you say you have full control over all the features, do you mean you had full control over the features from he dash / computer screen on the dash? So when you plugged in your phone, you closed the middle compartment and never needed to access the phone to change playlists or find a particular song?

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Full control of all features of the iPod from the nav screen. I do not have to go to the phone to look for songs, playlists. Etc...

LR4ME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. When you say you have full control over all the features, do you mean you had full control over the features from he dash / computer screen on the dash? So when you plugged in your phone, you closed the middle compartment and never needed to access the phone to change playlists or find a particular song?
The iPhone4 also works fully functionally as an iPod in the LR4, and as a phone too. You can control all iPod functions through the touch screen, though it is far from a native integration of the iPod menu (ie. it is not pretty). It gets the job done, transitions smoothly to phone calls via blue tooth, and picks up where it left off when the engine is shut off or a phone call came in.

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got an 80gb ipod classic that I leave in the car until I want to add some new music.

UGAgirl97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got an 80gb ipod classic that I leave in the car until I want to add some new music.

Thanks for your reply. I think I am going to just buy an iPod on eBay to just leave in the car too. Let me ask you, do you leave the iPod plugged in all the time? Or do you unplug it when you turn off the car? Any issues with just leaving it plugged in all the time...ie...battery issues? Thanks

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't use my iPhone4 but use my iPod instead. I leave it plugged in all the time... It's a no brainer! Really, it is. And NO it doesn't drain the battery!

Last edited:

horatio8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went the Nano route - stays in my car and is always charged - see the thread on how I attached it with velcro to the inside lid of the center console

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
Please explain something for me. If you're just using the Nano to store the music, and shutting it up in the center console forever, where you will never use its screen or interface, why go with the iPod at all? Why not just use a $30 16GB flash drive?

Is the Land Rover dash touchscreen interface different/better for the Nano than for a flash drive?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM