Is 320 miles good on a tank in Los Angeles city driving?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do 7 miles one-way to office from W Seattle to Queen Anne.
Some mornings it can take 45 minutes. :mad::eek::stupid:
Do the math...

The math simply states that you need to change something. Where you live, work, or when you go. I could ride that on my bicycle in about 30 minutes at a leisurely "no sweat" pace getting some exercise or 20 minutes in a hurry.

Seattle traffic at the wrong times, which is most of the day it seems now, does really kind of suck. It wasn't so bad 8 years ago.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I submit that it was BAD 8 years ago; it's ABYSMAL now.

After living in the Greenlake area for over 10 years, I live ~15 miles north of Seattle. Most of the time I don't have to go down there. When I do, it's to work the day in SoDo. I will wake up at 05 so I can get on I-5 by 05:30 because I just can't stand the traffic. Then...if I'm stuck down there until after 14:00, I'm staying for dinner and a beer. At about 18:45 it's safe to come home.

Last edited:

paula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK - I should have clarified. I fill up the tank every time and then drive it about ~25 miles past the reserve indicator - so I am guessing that the gas is almost empty.

The capacity of the tank is 22 miles. So I am getting ~14.5 mpg.

Interesting, I have a 5 series BMW as well and it gives me ~21mpg for city driving. So I am guessing the additional 25% I pay for gas driving my LR is totally worth it for the experience.

I did take my LR3 up to Lake Arrowhead over the weekend and was able to get 21mpg round trip. Very cool, indeed! I did not use the down hill feature though.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh Paula...you are a wellspring of entertainment.

I assume you mean that the capacity of the tank is 22 Gallons and not "miles." It's actually 22.8. Might sound trivial but it's 3.5% which could impact your calculation.

I'm glad you got the LR3 to a presumably off-road destination. You say "down hill feature." Again I have to assume you mean HDC (Hill Descent Control). You know what, HDC is pretty cool....but really 4-Lo does all the work in helping the LR3 crawl down slopes, and HDC gets all the credit!

Glad you got 21 mpg. You really think driving the LR3 on-road (to work) is a better experience than driving a 5-Series?

Cheers,
Houm

Trynian

Reaction score
Tank is bigger though and of course it depends on how much she's filling it. Actual calculations are needed to be sure of anything but roughly 300+/- is about right for most people.

I can eek out 18-19 mpg on hwy trips when loaded or 20-21 if going on 2 lane 55 mph areas with few stops. I've had over 400 on a tank several times.

Yes I get the similar stats but not in LA traffic. I rarely get over 15 miles per gallon on a tank while driving around LA. I am sure some of it depends on how much of that LA driving you actually do and of course how much of a lead foot you have.

While the tank capacity is listed at 22.8 I have purposely ran the tank dry for repairs and never been able to fill it more then 21.5. There always seems to be about a gallon residual fuel in the tank even after the fuel pump stop being able to pump it.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My city driving was down to about 11.5 mpg. I replaced all my o2 sensors and now I am at 13, much better on the highway, but I have not tracked that yet. The front drivers size sensor was seized, so the guys at my local shop had to drop the exhaust and repair the threads. For what it's worth, picked up on Amzon. I did that at 146k as well as a bunch of other stuff like breather cap, new valve cover seals, hoses, etc.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635