Is this differential whine / noise ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nashvegas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
05 LR3 HSE w/ rear locking diff, 42K miles approx.... This weekend the weather was finally nice in Nashville and I drove around with all 4 windows down. Noticed that I was hearing a weird -- very subtle -- metallic shhhhh noise. Dont remember this noise before. It's not a BAD noise. Not brakes or dragging parking brake I don't think. I confirmed the noise when I was in between a drive thru and another building and its definitely something that wasnt there before. It sounds like a differential going -- like when my old 3 series bmw rear diff went 15 years ago.

Truck has the locking rear diff (which got alot of use in this winter's snow so far).

I dont notice any fluid leaks under the truck so not sure what's goin on. Worth bringing to dealer? It has CPO warranty until April of 2010. Do these diffs make noise / fail?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what a diff looks like in its dying days, but if you have a warranty for 2 more months then I'd take it in. ...especially if the noise is easily reproducible.

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't even notice the noise on mine before the dealer replaced it (72k miles). Brought it in for a routine service and my dealer comes out saying both the front and rear diff are shot, just happy easy care took the bill. He told me they heard a "roaring" noise coming from the back of the truck.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When was the fluid checked/changed? Might want to drain it and look for water, milk shake looking oil, as well as metal in the oil.
You could also have a rock wedged between the rotor and the dust shield.

onefitcpa

Reaction score
I think I may have similar issue.
Disco Mike, since Im new to the LR3, what fluid do you use in the front/rear diff?

Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4