Is this the type of reliability I can expect?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MWR

Reaction score
Bought an '04 SE7 with only 32k miles on 11/25. Didn't get a mile from the dealer when the horn started blowing and wouldn't stop. Turned around, took it back and they fixed it. Back on our way.

Next morning, start going through the truck and find that it burned 1.5qts of oil on the 100mi trip home - it was full when we test drove. Called the dealer, they said top it off and keep an eye on it. It's still full now, so I have no idea what happened there.

Same day, driver's window went off track and had to go into the shop - replaced window motor under warranty.

Then two days ago it starts leaking fluid - lots of fluid - in the driveway. I can't seem to find where it's coming from, but it's puddling in the pan under the engine. Appears to be oil, but could be coolant. I'm keeping both topped off until the dealer can take it again this afternoon.

So that's 4 problems and three times in the shop in less than two weeks. And did I mention that the nearest service is over an hour away?

Is this the type of reliability I can expect from my Disco? Not happy so far.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
This is normally not normal, even for a rover. Sounds like this one needs to go back.

MWR

Reaction score
MWR said:
...Then two days ago it starts leaking fluid - lots of fluid - in the driveway. I can't seem to find where it's coming from, but it's puddling in the pan under the engine. Appears to be oil, but could be coolant. I'm keeping both topped off until the dealer can take it again this afternoon.

Just found out it's coolant and the water inlet is cracked. I guess that's better than an oil pan gasket or head gasket. Still going to take a few days to get the part at $30/day for a rental. Not cool.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Rental... the dealer isn't giving you a loaner? Or did you buy at a LR dealer?

MWR

Reaction score
joey said:
Rental... the dealer isn't giving you a loaner? Or did you buy at a LR dealer?

Bought from a LR dealer, but not this one. Second time they've had it and refused a loaner both times. They have Avis on site and have sent us there. Does the 4/50k factory or extended 6/75k warranty include a guaranteed loaner?

lowwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im new to this but, ***** a fit to every one with ears, thats not cool that you are paying the rental with a warrenty not to mention they have Avis on site. Not cool.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a used disco, and didn't even buy it from the dealer, but the local LR dealer told me that if I did use them for work they would give me a loaner free.

F

fbrems

I'm not sure in the US, but in UAE, replacement cars is not an option unless you assure (extra payment) for such coverage with an independent agent protecting you with 24hours assistance. If you are going over the threads, you know what you can expect form a Rover. A horn which do not stop, a derailed window, okay that is normal and more such defects will follow, but the 04 models should not leak that much as the previous generation. If I was you, I'll go for a complete checklist by a garage specialized in such verifications which you should have done before the purchase. It all depends what is your current guarantee covering and what not, but at least you know the condition of your engine, prevent more disappointments at later stage and some evidence in hand to argue with the car seller.

MWR

Reaction score
fbrems said:
.... If I was you, I'll go for a complete checklist by a garage specialized in such verifications which you should have done before the purchase. It all depends what is your current guarantee covering and what not, but at least you know the condition of your engine, prevent more disappointments at later stage and some evidence in hand to argue with the car seller...

This is a Certified Pre-Owned LR, which SUPPOSEDLY went through a 140 inspection prior to delivery. In fact, I paid an extra $1500 for this honor. The warranty also includes roadside assistance, but apparently not a loaner.

MWR

Reaction score
Water inlet replaced, headlight out on the way home from the dealer. Thank goodness that was just a bulb, but who designed the front end so that the whole grille has to come out to replace a headlight bulb?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4