It has finally happened!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after reading all the experiences where owners share the many "fault messages" that pop up on their message center. This afternoon, i insertrd my key into the ignition and the LR sounded very laboured when trying to start, Even when i turned the key back to level ii on the ignition, the engine was still trying to turn over. When it finally did, i received the following messages:
1/ transmission fault limited gears available
2/ HDC fault: system not available
3/ reduced engine performance
4/ the ABS light is lit up
5/ the HDC light is lit up
6/ and i got the letter "F" besides my gear selection display

the engine does turn on but sounds different. I think its because of the "reduced engine performance"

I put the car into drive and it moved very slowly. just enough for me to move it to the side of my driveway.

Based on what I have read on this forum, I am guessing that it's a bad battery. Back in August, after leaving the LR in a hotel parking lot for 10 days when I went to Maui, it was completely drained of any power. Not even enough to unlock the car remotely .

I'm going to tedt the battery later but just wanted to get you guys' opinion on what it might be.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try a new battery. If that doesn't solve it run the codes on it. Could be just about anything until then. I've experience a lot of fault codes lately.

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, the battery is fine. Still has a good charge and will be charging when the car fires up. I did mention that the car will start right? But I can't figure out what the "F" beside my gear display means.. Even when I put it into command shifting, the "F" stays in place..
Going to get the Stealership to check it out.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah that's no good, man. I'm aware of the "F" either. I cringe taking my LR3 to the dealership as I never know what's truly wrong with my car after they run codes. I've been ripped off too many times.

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear ya.. and I am hoping that whatever is the problem, my warranty would cover it.. the power train and electrical coverage isnt too bad... we'll see what happens.

Trynian

Reaction score
I believe the "F" means fault. That pops up with many different issues.

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So Ive been researching this.. found this on another LR forum..

"Originally Posted by sowr
What does the F mean on the gear selection indicator mean? Not sure I've ever seen that."

"..It means that there is a transmission fault among other things. I had these exact same problems, especially if it were rainy and wet. The diagnostics showed a lot of communication issues etc. The rig spent a lot of time at LR and they found that it was a ground issue. About 4K later, the lights came back and once again, cold and wet. Rig would also drop down to access height and turning the key three time would not reset.
Battery was good. We replaced a brake switch and then the control unit. The car has driven better since and I did have one fault, this time with the F and the parking brake. The bad ground may have caused some strain on some of the electronics..."

The funny thing is that it poured today.. but mind you, in Vancouver BC, Canada, at this time of year, rain is a common thing so my LR should not be sensitive to this..however, who knows. Maybe something shorted and screwed up the system. So tomorrow after work, I am going to disconnect the battery and reset everything..
Fingers crossed.

question: will disconnecting the battery and "resetting" the system screw up my remote control programming?

Last edited:

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even when I called the Stealership, they said 95% its the battery..

Well.. disconnected battery.. didnt work.
Slapped in a new battery.. didnt work.
The car can drive.. but Ive lost ALL "special features" that makes it a LR.. I think its like a heavy Corrolla now..
So off to the Stealership now..

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it still in "slump" mode? My LR went into this when the t-stat failed. It barely made it up the driveway.

wcryer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey zulu, can you elaborate on the bad ground? was it a particular ground point gone loose or something?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635