It's Done. LR4 is gone. Compos, OEM Hitch for sale

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, a big sigh. OK. Our LR4 is gone. In a word - tongue weight (OK, that is 2 words.) We just couldn't get comfortable with the ambiguity surrounding the stated (owner's manual) tongue weight of 550# and the dealer not being able to offer anything that made us comfortable. I had heard all the arguments for and against and finally just decided to give up and get a Land Cruiser (8100 SAE certified towing capacity with a 850# stated tongue weight and the an owner's manual that strongly encourage the use of anti-sway and weight distribution hitches.) Do I like the LC more? Plusses and minuses. A discussion for a different thread and maybe a different forum. Suffice it to say that we loved our LR4 and have some great memories with it. The LC is not the same. Hopefully someone will buy it (I traded it in so as to get the CO state sales tax break) and enjoy it as much as we did.

This forum is great and I want to thank so many who helped us out over the past couple of years.

I do have a full set of 5 Anthracite Compomotive wheels with BFG KO2 265/60 R18 tires mounted on them. I have $4K into those wheels and tires. The tires have at most 8K on them as I just put them on in March and then took them off in April/May. I would like to get $2500 for the combination. I would prefer not to ship but if no one in Colorado wants them then we could work something out.

I also have two of the OEM hitch receivers. I bought a used one that only had one key for about $200. I'd be willing to sell it for $100+shipping. I also have one that I purchased new about 3 months ago and only used once to hold a bike rack. I would like to get $300 for that one.

I also have a set of 4 Nokia Hakkapeliitta r2s 255/55 R19 winter tires that I will sell for about $300. They have at most 10K on them as they have only seen 2 short seasons.

Again, you all have been great. I miss the LR4. But the LC will be better for towing our 6,000# travel trailer in the mountains and though the LC doesn't have some of the features for off road that our LR4 did or as tight a turning radius or is as narrow on the trails or has the awesome interior configurability of the LR4, it does have decent wheel articulation and a moon roof that you can stick your body out. :hello:

Attachments

• DSC02048.jpg
    DSC02048.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0432.jpg
    IMG_0432.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 118

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few of you asked for pictures of the wheels and tires. Here you go...

(That is a quarter between the threads in case it wasn't obvious.)

BTW, you can also have my Land Rover cloth spare tire cover if you are interested.

Attachments

• IMG_0437.jpg
    IMG_0437.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0436.jpg
    IMG_0436.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 68

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
never mind....I need to do a better job of reading.

cwatel

Reaction score
Question, why two hitches? What is the issue with the first used hitch? I too am looking at attaching a bike rack. Will buy one of them from you and we can communicate further by email at [email protected]. Please send or post pictures of both hitches. Thanks.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first hitch receiver only has one key. At some point this Spring we were seriously considering going with a lighter weight trailer so that we could use the OEM hitch receiver. For that I wanted to be sure I had two keys and had a new one. Then when looking at trailers we found we didn't want to settle for lighter. So that plan didn't work out. So, the first (cheaper) one only has one key. The second is nearly new. I have already had a couple offers on the $100 one.

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best of luck and I see it LR4 is up for sale on their website. I've enjoyed your posts and knowledge over the past couple years.

machmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Finally got answers to all my towing questions. LR really needs to get their messaging clear. I would agree with that.

Answers:
I got 800 on the hitch from LR coprporate. Stability Assist is active and on all models. Never use manual brake controller lever, Never use weight distribution hitch. Towing assist requires vision package, all it does is provide guidance for your car AND red lines for your Trailer - its actually really helpful.

All of this was a horrible feat to get definitive answers on from LR dealer, and Corporate but I got it all (Finally). The amount of confusion is on a level unheard of from a company that charges so much for a car.

I just towed my new Rockwood Roo up through Estes to RMNP and over the pass to Grand Lake. The SCv6 towed better than my tundra 5.7 Flex. To be honest I was super nervous the LR would struggle. Nope. I was so enthused after my RMNP trip.

Glad you are happy! Life is all about not having that voice in the back of your head making you doubt safety or your car.

stew77

Reaction score
Well Dan...Congratulations on the LC! (I had a feeling that you were heading that direction fairly strongly.) It looks great and will, no doubt, be able to serve you very well off-road (and I hope it provides you with confident towing). Your smile on that second pic indicates you are a happy camper, and that is really what life is all about IMO.

I agree that the information from Land Rover regarding towing is confusing and vague, and frankly, I still do not agree with towing anything that weighs over 5000 lbs without a Weight Distribution Hitch setup (so I will certainly continue to use my Equalizer hitch to tow our 6000 lb plus camping trailer).

It was really nice getting to meet you through our mutual love of the LR4 and talking about towing hitch options with the LR. I hope that our paths will somehow cross again, and all the best to you with the new Landcruiser!

I am very interested to hear how the LC tows for you with your new camper and WDH, but we can continue that conversation via PM or email.

Happy Trails To You buddy!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72