Just got my new shocks today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got 4 brand new shocks to install (this weekend?) AND shock boots to match my paint. I'm pretty stoked, but it's one of those jobs I feel like wanting to procrastinate because if I mess something up or something goes wrong, I know I'm gonna be without a ride for at least a little while. Anyways, I doubt it's that hard, I have the workshop manual... any advice before I tackle it? The steering damper is on the way as we speak. PS, I got a ridiculously good deal at http://www.4wheelonline.com/ .... They have a shock sale through the end of january, buy 3 get 1 free.

discoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear shocks are a cinch. Just 1 nut per end. Easy install. Haven't had to do any work on the front yet so I don't know for sure what is involved for that.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
either way, make sure you use some break free for a day or more (2 or 3 times a day) prior to the work. one of my rear shock mount broke off during removal, and I had to reweld a bolt onto it to make it drivable.

Either end wasn't that hard other than that one issue.

healey1006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I put shocks on my Disco, but I think I needed to use a strap wrench on the front shocks to keep them from turning when loosening the nuts.

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright thanks.... should I just spray all the shock bolts a few times with that break free stuff? Is the strap wrench to stop the shock from spinning while unbolting it? Thanks

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, and Yes...

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright cool... I'll pick one of those up at the hardware store. I should be getting my steering damper in the mail real soon too. I want to do all the shocks and steering damper at the same time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo